Rant Verify your identity

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Browsing around on Walmart.com I keep getting redirected to a page to verify my identity. I'm not logged in and just want to browse the website.

This is annoying.....

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find lot of websites seem to go out of their way to make the browsing experience as horrid as possible. Usually because of too much javascript BS that slows the page down and just keeps popping stuff at you to be annoying.

Ever been on Aliexpress? Holy crap so many freaking modals and things that keep popping up at you. I don't bother with that site anymore.

Digikey just updated their site too and it's crap now. Just so unintuitive to use compared to the more simple layout of before. I don't get this trend of taking something that works and making it worse.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The second time I get prompted for one of those intentionally or if it doesn't work properly twice for any reason other than me fat-fingering the characters I leave the website and (usually) don't return.

And Walmart.com is a steaming pile dog-droppings these days IME.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I find lot of websites seem to go out of their way to make the browsing experience as horrid as possible

Bad website design is a combination of a lot of things and it really seems to be the norm lately.

I think it's a combination of folks not wanting to pay to have a decent site set up and maintained professionally so they try to do it themselves (with predictably poor results) plus the bias towards mobile devices in many sites design.

Some decisions I've seen lately (and frankly have come to expect) just make me shake my head ... for example it should not be such a huge pain to find/use the "search" function that I don't even try and just use Google instead.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
They go for "wow factor" when it isn't necessary. One commerce site I go to got bought out. They went from a highly functional, but "boring" site with a small handful of scripts to lots shit fading in and out, with popup "specials" and ten zillion scripts. I'd pay them actual American greenbacks to revert the site to it's previous form. Just because computers have lots of extra cpu cycles and ram doesn't mean you have to use it all :^S

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Hey OP, I am in Wamart.com now and I am just looking around (not login) and so far, so good. Nothing to complain about. I am using Chrome in private mode.

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Using my PC, tablet, and cellphone logging in to Facebook (as an example) wants to make sure that it is indeed me... for security/privacy purposes and not someone hacking into my account. Same goes to my banking and shopping accounts, send a 5 digit code to my cellphone/email address to verify it is me. In some cases some sites wants me to "update" my password and other authentication stuff. Not a problem, in some cases I'm glad it's done and and other cases sometimes annoying.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
... for example it should not be such a huge pain to find/use the "search" function that I don't even try and just use Google instead.
A fair amount of time it seems i have to "allow Google" in NoScript to use a sites search function anyway. I guess they figure that's what Google does so just use them instead of doing our own.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't get that on walmart.com, but I'm still running all traffic thru pihole

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A fair amount of time it seems i have to "allow Google" in NoScript to use a sites search function anyway. I guess they figure that's what Google does so just use them instead of doing our own.

Some do this and it's fine when it works but many still have their own search that's buried on the site behind something "shiny" or in a location that makes no sense.

Either that or its in an obvious spot but it straight-up just sucks and Google provides more accurate results.

Even on some major e-commerce sites this is the case.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Hey OP, I am in Wamart.com now and I am just looking around (not login) and so far, so good. Nothing to complain about. I am using Chrome in private mode.

It just started for me, my browser is pretty locked down and it used to work without any problems.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just don't go to walmart. Sounds like their online store is as much of a shitshow as their physical stores.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just don't go to walmart. Sounds like their online store is as much of a shitshow as their physical stores.

99% of the time this method is quite effective for me ... sadly however every once in awhile I'm forced to set foot in Walmart to use the pharmacy since my meds are considerably cheaper there then anywhere else.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
99% of the time this method is quite effective for me ... sadly however every once in awhile I'm forced to set foot in Walmart to use the pharmacy since my meds are considerably cheaper there then anywhere else.
I go out of convenience cause they're within walking distance. I get cat food, and motor oil. In the winter, I get their canola oil for my saws. I stop in every month or two, get in, and get out. I don't particularly enjoy the store.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I find lot of websites seem to go out of their way to make the browsing experience as horrid as possible. Usually because of too much javascript BS that slows the page down and just keeps popping stuff at you to be annoying.

Ever been on Aliexpress? Holy crap so many freaking modals and things that keep popping up at you. I don't bother with that site anymore.

Digikey just updated their site too and it's crap now. Just so unintuitive to use compared to the more simple layout of before. I don't get this trend of taking something that works and making it worse.
logo.png
add-on

Java script only runs when you let it, on a site by site basis.
Bit of a pia when you first start using, but it remembers permissions for sites you frequent, and some java script is necessary. Takes less and less allowing things as you use it. Also serves its purpose on sites you spend a lot of time on, say perhaps this forum :rolleyes:

And I have it set to not run in a private browser window, for those links you might follow and don't want to fool with it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Issue with noscript is like 90% of sites won't even load until you allow like 20 domains. It's infuriating how horribly designed most sites are and it just makes it super annoying when trying to do research or trying to do anything that involves landing on lot of random sites. Would be nice if noscript went by type of javascript instead of just blocking it completely. Ex: not allow modals and stuff. I used to run with it but it's just too annoying. It also breaks lot of stuff like banking related sites.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
^

Lol I hate those. Especially when it keeps making you do more and more, and the new ones take bloody ages to fade in. Stop with the fade bullshit just go straight to the point!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not sure I'm being fairly compensated for training google's robots. I think it deserves more than entry into some shitty website. Maybe bitcoin?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
^

Lol I hate those. Especially when it keeps making you do more and more, and the new ones take bloody ages to fade in. Stop with the fade bullshit just go straight to the point!

(apparently I'm about 50-50 - I always suspected as much)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
logo.png
add-on

Java script only runs when you let it, on a site by site basis.
Bit of a pia when you first start using, but it remembers permissions for sites you frequent, and some java script is necessary. Takes less and less allowing things as you use it. Also serves its purpose on sites you spend a lot of time on, say perhaps this forum :rolleyes:

And I have it set to not run in a private browser window, for those links you might follow and don't want to fool with it.

Lord, though, sometimes you are presented with a site that won't work at all and 100 different scripts to try re-enabling, all with completely uninformative names. Why do they have so many scripts that aren't really necessary for anything useful to the user?

Reactions: Red Squirrel