Verified 33.5 mpg today.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
Made a two-hour round trip visit to the Air Force recruiter today, and logged in 33.5mpg at 55mph with 15 minutes of idling for a construction stop. Also logged 31mpg over an 800 mile trip at 80mph earlier this summer. Feeling pretty damn good about my car at this point. :D

1993 Cutlass Ciera w/ V6 and 4-spd auto.

It's been t-boned by an SUV and drove away from the collision (which the SUV did not), survived my years as a beginning driver, and blows away the EPA numbers for gas mileage. I'm not going to let this car go anytime soon...

I've actually got 36mpg before, though that was on a shorter trip (1 hour), at the same speed, without any idling.

Pic: (Before collision)
24630370001_large.jpg

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
GM certainly did perfect their V6. I spent some time in the Flint V6 plant as a temp for one of their steel suppliers (an interesting stint, seeing as it was a militantly union shop and I drove there every day in a VW).

Anyway, just goes to show, you don't need a 4 banger or a hybrid to get decent MPG. My '00 with a 2.8L V6 gets the same highway mileage as the '90 1.8L I4 car it replaced.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
I'm wondering how difficult it would be to hit 40mpg with it.

Eibach makes lowering springs and Bilstein/KYB make uprated shocks and struts for my car, and there is a 5-speed out there which should match up nicely to the car. Hmm....

I'm also picking up the driver's side front and rear doors in about three weeks for $225. Wonder if no longer being impaled will help mileage ;)

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Nice. I averaged 37mpg on a 240 mile roundtrip average speed 80mph in my e90 330i. But I run premium so the overall cost is a wash.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Made a two-hour round trip visit to the Air Force recruiter today, and logged in 33.5mpg at 55mph with 15 minutes of idling for a construction stop. Also logged 31mpg over an 800 mile trip at 80mph earlier this summer. Feeling pretty damn good about my car at this point. :D

1993 Cutlass Ciera w/ V6 and 4-spd auto.

It's been t-boned by an SUV and drove away from the collision (which the SUV did not), survived my years as a beginning driver, and blows away the EPA numbers for gas mileage. I'm not going to let this car go anytime soon...

I've actually got 36mpg before, though that was on a shorter trip (1 hour), at the same speed, without any idling.

Pic: (Before collision)
24630370001_large.jpg

Best I've ever done in ANY car I've had is this past weekend - 32 MPG in my A/T 2011 Kia Soul. 36 MPG in a 1993 car is pretty awesome :thumbsup:

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I've flirted with 30 MPG in my VR6. I'm pretty sure I could do 32 or so with pulsing/gliding and putting it in Neutral on downhill stints but I haven't made the trip home since I the weekend I bought the car.

We shall see!

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention my car is a 96 VW Passat GLX with a 5 SP manual.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
I'd like to see what your gas mileage is like in town. I bet it's a lot less than a comparable v4 would give.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I've owned a variety of cars in the 90's GM stable that had the 3.1, 3.4, or 3800. On message boards related to the cars, there is always someone who consistently gets 5+ MPG better than I have ever been able to acheive.

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
No, don't do that.

I was wondering if I should do that or not. What's the reason I shouldn't?

I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just curious why I shouldn't do it. I guess I figured if I pulled it out of gear and released the clutch, it wouldn't harm anything.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I was wondering if I should do that or not. What's the reason I shouldn't?

I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just curious why I shouldn't do it. I guess I figured if I pulled it out of gear and released the clutch, it wouldn't harm anything.
No, it doesn't harm anything, but when you release the throttle and the car is at speed, especially in higher gears, there is no fuel injected, whereas if you go into neutral, the engine must inject fuel in order to maintain idle RPM.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Pffffffft. I've been running the AC all the time and shifting at high rpms on my RX-8 earning me an average of roughly 10MPG.

I love it.

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
No, it doesn't harm anything, but when you release the throttle and the car is at speed, especially in higher gears, there is no fuel injected, whereas if you go into neutral, the engine must inject fuel in order to maintain idle RPM.

So what you're saying is the engine doesn't require fuel when the engine is breaking itself coasting down a hill but (in my case) the RPMs are still around 2.5k? I know it's not scientific or anything, but my MPG meter goes up pretty considerably when I've put it in neutral and coasted.

As you can tell, I don't know much more than maintenance basics when it comes to cars. I do need tie rods though and intend on doing them myself with the assistance of my mechanic buddies at work here... I'm excited.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Nice.

The best I've done in my Fusion was 29 MPG round trip (about 60 miles total) with about 40% city driving and 60% highway. Normally I hover around 24-25 because I do mostly city driving and I'm not easy on the accelerator.

My previous '03 Malibu 3.1L regularly got 27-28 MPG with about 60/40 city/highway. The GM V6's are pretty damned good in that regard. Pretty good low-end torque, too.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
So what you're saying is the engine doesn't require fuel when the engine is breaking itself coasting down a hill but (in my case) the RPMs are still around 2.5k? I know it's not scientific or anything, but my MPG meter goes up pretty considerably when I've put it in neutral and coasted.

As you can tell, I don't know much more than maintenance basics when it comes to cars. I do need tie rods though and intend on doing them myself with the assistance of my mechanic buddies at work here... I'm excited.
I don't know why it shows that your MPG goes up when you're in neutral. Should be the other way around (my car is that way).

Is yours a stick or auto?