VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB worth it?

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
I am not sure what to do....

do I get the
VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 64MB newest drive?

or get a 512GB SSD

I am a bit worried about the writes all the time, but not sure if it matters?

I have 3x Plextor 256GB SSD's now, but sold my Samsung 830 256GB and need more space for more games that don't utilize a SSD as much...

Anyone here have the newest Raptors? How do you like it? Speed, noise, and heat?

Thanks!

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
If you have the money for a 512gb SSD get that, if youre strapped for cash look into picking up a pair of older model Vrapts and RAID0 them, or just get the single 1TB Vrapt. Im not sure how much youre looking to spend, but a 1TB Vrapt is a great option if you want speed/size/price.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Writes don't matter unless you're planning to write over 3000TB to that SSD.

Get the SSD if you can afford it. The price for then came down a lot anyways, I can find a 480GB Sandforce one for $379 here in Australia while the 1TB raptor is $319.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I am not sure what to do....

do I get the
VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 64MB newest drive?

or get a 512GB SSD

I am a bit worried about the writes all the time, but not sure if it matters?

I have 3x Plextor 256GB SSD's now, but sold my Samsung 830 256GB and need more space for more games that don't utilize a SSD as much...

Anyone here have the newest Raptors? How do you like it? Speed, noise, and heat?

Thanks!

Yes it is worth it, you can store up to 1TB of pg13 movies and your picture collection :$

Mars999

Jan 12, 2007
Well I do coding and with all the compiling, lots of writes so I am concerned that over time the SSD will take a hit for so many small file writes?

fuzzymath10

Feb 17, 2010
You could probably compile 24/7 for several years (which you hopefully don't) and not even start to tire out any decently put-together SSD today. A good SSD does not need any babying to destroy a traditional drive performance-wise; the only measures you need to take are if you have more stuff than space in which case you need to decide what goes on and off (and possibly making your swap file smaller, but not deleting it)

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Well I do coding and with all the compiling, lots of writes so I am concerned that over time the SSD will take a hit for so many small file writes?

I have a similar workload on a variety of SSD's and I can tell you its not going to be a problem. The drive will outlive you at the rate coders actually write to it.

The whole durability thing has been overblown by the media, these drives will last longer than a hard drive regardless of the writes you do to it.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Some ssd's have firmware issues, just like some hdd's have issues. However, all things being equal, I'd take a Samsung, intel, or crucial ssd's reliability over a consumer hdd's.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
Anyone want to bet my quantum Atlas 9GB will outlast your ssd - starting today at 100% random write cycle (ultra2-80) 24x7 ? i'm giving you 12 year headstart.

Consumer MLC of course at 90% utilization

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
That's not a "consumer" scsi drive though, right? Besides, I'll pass on a 9gb hdd... ;)

The capacity had nothing to do with his point, and Raptors aren't typical "consumer" drives either. I have multiple generations of Raptor's including an almost 10 year old original Raptor, and they all still work fine. My first SSD and its replacement didn't make it a week combined before both died. I also have an original Seagate Cheetah X15 that is over a decade old that still works. If reliabilty is priority #1, and shock resistance doesn't matter (it should not in any desktop), then I would choose a Raptor over an SSD 100 out of 100 times.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
If you are going to run in single mode, then get the SSD. If you plan to run RAID 0 then yes the raptors will fly!!!! And be durable.

If I had the money I would just run a single 512MB Samsung 830 as the main and a pair of 1 TB raptors in raid 0 for storage. Just a dream at this point.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The capacity had nothing to do with his point, and Raptors aren't typical "consumer" drives either. I have multiple generations of Raptor's including an almost 10 year old original Raptor, and they all still work fine. My first SSD and its replacement didn't make it a week combined before both died. I also have an original Seagate Cheetah X15 that is over a decade old that still works. If reliabilty is priority #1, and shock resistance doesn't matter (it should not in any desktop), then I would choose a Raptor over an SSD 100 out of 100 times.

You probably bought a ssd from OCZ with Sandforce controller...basically the type of SSD anyone here will tell you not to touch with a 10-foot pole.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You’re not going to wear out an SSD through compilation. Those are very small files, and any good controller will drop them all over the place to wear-level. You’d have to constantly write big video files or massive archives for years in order to have a hope of wearing it out.

With that said, I really do like my 1TB VelociRaptor, and I reviewed it here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=33588015

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

That's a fair point about a Raptor not really being a "consumer" hdd. I have a 36gb raptor running 24/7 in my mom's computer as her only hdd, so I know how great they are. However, I would still take my 80gb x25m g2 over the raptor. And capacity does matter with the ssd because a much-hyped ssd failure point is the wearing out of the nand.