Vehicle Tune Ups....what's essential?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I have a 92 Ford Ranger PU truck,it runs great but has 94k miles on it...Id like to get at least another year+ on it before i trade it in.
It's high time for a tune up what should i buy for the tune up?
ANything else i should check/replace etc?
I dont want to spend a ton of money,and dont want to buy products that do not truly preserve the life/performance of the vehicle.
ANy advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
My dad's 88' GMC has 300k+ miles on it; never had a tune up.

Of course this is probably an exception...

I'd recommend a good change of fluids to start out with.

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
Plugs,wires,Distributer cap and rotor,pcv valves,air filter and any other filters you can find,worn belts,fuel injector cleaner,oil change and check all other fluids. Thats a pretty thorough tune-up. Tell me if I forgot anything guys.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Don't forget the fuel filter! Overworking the fuel pump is something you don't want to do because replacing an in-tank fuel pump is a real PIA!

Cheers!

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000

<< My dad's 88' GMC has 300k+ miles on it; never had a tune up.

Of course this is probably an exception...

I'd recommend a good change of fluids to start out with.
>>

I find it hard to believe at 300k somebody didn't at least change the spark plugs. In fact I don't believe it. I am a ex-mechanic and know thatit is just not possible without the plugs burning out.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001

<< I find it hard to believe at 300k somebody didn't at least change the spark plugs. In fact I don't believe it. I am a ex-mechanic and know thatit is just not possible without the plugs burning out. >>

You are correct. The plugs have been changed at least twice. I meant 'tune-up' as in the whole deal. This truck has the same wires, cap, belt, etc. Fuel injectors are the same as well (throttle body injection).

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< :D:D:D:D:D:D:D AWESOME ADVICE!!!!THIS TRUCK IS GETTING AN ENEMA! >>

While you're at it, grab one for yourself, you'll thank us in the morning :)