Vega new drivers, then and now, any reviews??

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would have just bumped the vega thread for this but it has since been locked. There were more than a few vega supporters in that thread that were under the impression that vega would improve a significant amount with new driver with enabled features. Well that time is now, and the new drivers are out, and its been 6 months since vega launch.

So please post any reviews you have seen with the new drivers vs launch drivers. I have looked and so far have not been able to find any trusted review sites doing this comparison yet, perhaps by this weekend we may see some, only found a few low on details of testing method used youtube reviews.

Price wise here in canada prices have not come down at all really, they have risen. Cheapest vega 56 on newegg.ca right now is $100 more than a 1080 and only $150-200 less than a 1080Ti. But if these drivers really do improve performance by 25-30% then that would bring it into price/perf equality with the Nvidia cards. So i am interested if this is the case, and these drivers are what some people thought they would be.

Thanks guys.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
Barely anything changed.
Besides, you'd have hard time buying Vega due to xmr miners.
Totally not worth it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Barely anything changed.
Besides, you'd have hard time buying Vega due to xmr miners.
Totally not worth it.

I agree, and said as much in the original thread. However there was a large amount of people who were under the belief that the drivers would bring more disabled features into the equation, and thus performance to the table in the coming months. Those months have now come, and i want to know if that was true or BS. As with only launch reviews to go off of, we have no idea what if any improvements have been made

Reactions: urvile

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
However there was a large amount of people who were under the belief that the drivers would bring more disabled features into the equation, and thus performance to the table in the coming months.
They may, but said drivers are not there.
Those months have now come, and i want to know if that was true or BS.
Who knows.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
I would have just bumped the vega thread for this but it has since been locked. There were more than a few vega supporters in that thread that were under the impression that vega would improve a significant amount with new driver with enabled features. Well that time is now, and the new drivers are out, and its been 6 months since vega launch.

So please post any reviews you have seen with the new drivers vs launch drivers. I have looked and so far have not been able to find any trusted review sites doing this comparison yet, perhaps by this weekend we may see some, only found a few low on details of testing method used youtube reviews.

Price wise here in canada prices have not come down at all really, they have risen. Cheapest vega 56 on newegg.ca right now is $100 more than a 1080 and only $150-200 less than a 1080Ti. But if these drivers really do improve performance by 25-30% then that would bring it into price/perf equality with the Nvidia cards. So i am interested if this is the case, and these drivers are what some people thought they would be.

Thanks guys.

From the HardOCP article Carfax83 linked to:

Overall there weren’t "game changing" performance updates, only Project Cars 2 was impressive. DX11 game performance seemed stagnate, while DX12 performance seemed to improve a little across the board.

What you get at launch, is pretty much what you are going to get in terms of gaming performance on Radeon RX 500 Polaris series and AMD Radeon RX Vega series GPUs, so no Fine Wine to be had for these cards' owners. This article has proven that there have been no "magical" Vega drivers that have improved gameplay performance in the past 4 months.

So no magic driver enhancements like some people in that thread were predicting.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
I believe the "magic" driver people were talking about was supposed to enable the NGG(?) fast path for increased triangle throughput. To this day it's still either disabled or is going to require the use of primitive shaders and have developer specific code for it to function.

At this stage of the product launch it's probably never going to come if it didn't make it into the yearly driver package update. This is all of course from memory, someone like @zlatan could expand on the subject in much greater detail.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
I believe the "magic" driver people were talking about was supposed to enable the NGG(?) fast path for increased triangle throughput. To this day it's still either disabled or is going to require the use of primitive shaders and have developer specific code for it to function.

At this stage of the product launch it's probably never going to come if it didn't make it into the yearly driver package update. This is all of course from memory, someone like @zlatan could expand on the subject in much greater detail.

Afaik, DSBR is still non functional in most games, same with the NGG path. The amount of work to test, profile and tune those features for every game is pretty huge. Nvidia just has a lot more people to power through big projects like that.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I love my Vega cards!....but not for gaming :(

See the problem I have is I can't stop mining to play games because when I do game I'm constantly being reminded how much money I'm leaving on the table. It's gotten so bad I've been playing games on a PS4!

Maybe I need a gaming laptop but I'll probably just end up mining on that anyway.

Stupid dirty miners ruin everything!

bsp2020

Dec 29, 2015
@Madpacket
You should look for mining software that will run on your PS4. It has AMD GPU after all. Why are you wasting good AMD hardware on gaming? /JK

geoxile

Sep 23, 2014
Afaik, DSBR is still non functional in most games, same with the NGG path. The amount of work to test, profile and tune those features for every game is pretty huge. Nvidia just has a lot more people to power through big projects like that.

DSBR works, they just disabled it because worst case it lowers performance and best case there's negligible gain. It's mostly for saving bandwidth and for deferred rendering as shade once, seemingly, can only happen in a deferred rendering context with full information of depth.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've actually been encountering driver issues more recently... at least on one of my machines. Vega 64 card confirmed good but driver just crashes over and over. The last few AMD driver packages I've installed will not uninstall normally and, even though I always use DDU in safe mode, once the latest driver is reinstalled the computer crashes after a few minutes. Event log states that the display driver crashed but claims that it also recovered... yet video to the screen never returns. Broken...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So it seems from that review that the Magic vega drivers were just a smoke screen from the AMD defense crew and that Vega is what it is and always has been, which is seriously overpriced for what it offers in gaming performance. This is what i suspected when it launched, now its confirmed.

Here's to hoping at least Volta doesn't disappoint like Vega.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
So it seems from that review that the Magic vega drivers were just a smoke screen from the AMD defense crew and that Vega is what it is and always has been, which is seriously overpriced for what it offers in gaming performance. This is what i suspected when it launched, now its confirmed.

It's not really surprising though is it? I still might get a vega 64 to replace the fury X in the second rig in my signature but I will be waiting a while.

My primary rig shreds anything even with the cpu maxing out at 3.7ghz. Which (I assume) means games like wolfenstein II and dishonored 2 are heavily multi threaded or at least enough to disable the XFR boost. I am going to put a custom loop on it next year so I can OC it.

When you have a choice between monster performance and as yet to appear performance straight out of the box the decision is not hard.

Guru

May 5, 2017
There is a small increase in minimums and averages with the new Adrenalin drivers compared to launch drivers of the RX Vega series, there is a massive performance boost for RX 500 series from launch drivers to the latest ones, though again the performance gains are also available in other drivers newer than the launch drivers.

So its essentially a continuous performance increase, not a sudden one. The Adrenalin driver compared to the previous driver is essentially the same performance.

If you look at launch drivers for Vega to the Adrenalin one there is a good 5% performance gains I'd say across the games, even bigger for the RX 400/500 series, but again its continuous increases driver to driver, rather than a sudden one.

Reactions: Madpacket

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005

Exactly, same with their CPUs.