Vega/Navi Rumors (Updated)

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
409 GB/s would suck unless AMD did some truly revolutionary memory compression that leapfrogged them ahead several generations. AMD is already behind on memory compression, and even Fiji with 512 GB/s benefited from a memory OC. Hopefully they are using the 2.0 Gbps chips from Samsung, or maybe Hynix isn’t advertising the 2.0 Gbps chips because ~100% is going to AMD for Vega.

As for the 490 name, we saw 490 listed on some product listing for 2016 cards in Q3 2016, and that fueled the rumour of Polaris 10x2 as a 490. It’s possible, but I won’t be convinced yet especially since GPU recommendations by publishers can be hogwash. Don't forget Bethesda, in all their wisdom, decreed the GTX 550 Ti and the Radeon 7870 as equals.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
SK-Hynix-Q1-2017-HBM2.png

https://videocardz.com/65649/sk-hynix-updates-memory-product-catalog-hbm2-available-in-q1-2017
Hmm, It seems like AMD has priority supply agreement regarding 2Gbps HBM2s like in case of HBM gen.1, so SK Hynix removed them from product databook.

It doesn't make sense to have 2Gbps stacks ready in Q3 2016 and then no availability in Q1 2017. Production stopped? I don't think so

Anyway, AMD claimed 512GB/s for Vega 10 SenseMI
amd-vega-10-specificaskkli.jpg

Just for info, GP100 is using Samsung 1.4Gbps (715 MHz) HBM2 stacks connected to 4096-bit interface (8x 512-bit blocks) => 720GB/s

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Thread cleaned. If the personal confrontations continue, there will be accounts cleaned.
-- stahlhart

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

I'm confused.. Why did you change the quote from saying 1.6Ghz to 1.6Gps but leave the rest of the quote with its calculations intact? That's misquoting.

Latest from videocardz:

In the latest financial results report, AMD confirmed that graphics cards based on Vega architecture will arrive in the second quarter.

AMD Vega coming in Q2 2017
Without any surprise, AMD confirmed (once again) that Vega is an ‘H1 2017’ product. In its annual 2016 financial results, we can find Q4 2016 highlights with the most important part starting here:

AMD introduced preliminary details of its forthcoming Vega GPU architecture designed to address the most data- and visually-intensive next-generation workloads. Key architecture advancements include a differentiated memory subsystem, next-generation geometry pipeline, new compute engine, and a new pixel engine. GPU products based on the Vega architecture are expected to ship in the second quarter of 2017.
So those who were still hoping for February or March Vega launch may feel disappointed, but it’s worth noting that AMD never confirmed that Vega could launch in the first quarter. It was rather, a wishful thinking considering how Polaris was teased and launched a few months later.

Vega could, therefore, launch in May or June with Radeon 500 series, which could also include some Polaris-based models. However what seems unclear is whether Vega will succeed Fury X or rather R9 390X as Radeon RX 590.

https://videocardz.com/65668/amd-products-based-on-vega-expected-to-ship-in-q2-2017

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
anandtech even links that databook. Either Hynix is supplying 2 Gbps exclusively to AMD or they have run into some yield issues at high speeds.

It's possible I guess. Should point out that there's no guarantee that the top consumer card would even have the 2 Gbps memory anyway.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014

Taken from beyond3d vega thread:

It possibly fits here (could assume it is HBM2) or maybe CPU related but was an interesting comment in the conference call other day with regards to a particular question and answer.

Q:
I had a question on inventory, Devinder. You did give us the reason for why the inventory is higher. But what I'm trying to understand is why the delta between the guidance that you had given, which was supposed to be in the $660 million amount, which you guided to.
Was there a change in what you were expecting for the roadmap? Where there uncertainties that you had guided to $660 million, and now you came up to the number that you reported on the fourth quarter? Thank you.

A:
Yes, I think it's fair to say that from the time I gave the guidance, $660 million coming into $750 million, that there were some changes, but let me explain.
First of all, it was higher than anticipated due to product ramps, product mix, and also our higher expected revenue in the first half of 2017. We also had an opportunity to purchase some inventory in a tight PC supply environment at commercially favorable terms. And we took the opportunity to go ahead and purchase the inventory, given what we see from a revenue standpoint for the first half of 2017.

Could be down to a few different components though and vague enough to be applicable to either Vega or Ryzen, although HBM2 stands out as being tight supply *shrug*.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
See, I don't think AMD is 'losing' at all, its just that they're image and brand could benefit from a well timed win. Secretive specifications, limited marketing, unclear launch windows, etc.

If I were head of AMD Graphics division I would hire as many Nvidia/Ex-Nvidia marketing directors as I could. If you've got a solid lineup, TELL people. Is there even a definitive ad campaign for Polaris? The company needs to go for gold instead of prematurely conceding to silver before the race even starts.
At this point in time, I don't think AMD/RTG want to spend resources just hiring "as many marketing people as possible". I would guess they have other people listed as higher priority.

Maybe if Zen is successful, they can consider dramatically increasing the marketing budget.

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
I didn't say 'as possible', said 'as I could'. Meaning within the limits of possibility. Meaning hire ex-Nvidia PR as they are clearly doing something AMD is not.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I didn't say 'as possible', said 'as I could'. Meaning within the limits of possibility. Meaning hire ex-Nvidia PR as they are clearly doing something AMD is not.

From what I've seen over the years, the main difference between NVIDIA PR and AMD PR is that NVIDIA wants to be seen as the take-no-prisoners, high-end Apple-esque darling and AMD wants to be seen as the "hero of the people and for the people". The strength of the former is high profits, high demand, and the ability to dance around missteps with few apologies. The strength of the latter is being seen as a value alternative. The main problem with the latter is that you have to perform better for the price, not just at the same level. Looking at this thread and other "AMD vs." threads, people generally expect AMD hardware to magically be better for a lower price - but there is some precedent for that such as the 295X2 vs TitanZ.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
AMD's brand in the good ol' days was always about Innovation.

Thats where they should built right now their brand. 2017 is a good start.

Reactions: 3DVagabond

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
409 GB/s would suck unless AMD did some truly revolutionary memory compression that leapfrogged them ahead several generations. AMD is already behind on memory compression, and even Fiji with 512 GB/s benefited from a memory OC. Hopefully they are using the 2.0 Gbps chips from Samsung, or maybe Hynix isn’t advertising the 2.0 Gbps chips because ~100% is going to AMD for Vega.

As for the 490 name, we saw 490 listed on some product listing for 2016 cards in Q3 2016, and that fueled the rumour of Polaris 10x2 as a 490. It’s possible, but I won’t be convinced yet especially since GPU recommendations by publishers can be hogwash. Don't forget Bethesda, in all their wisdom, decreed the GTX 550 Ti and the Radeon 7870 as equals.

Every single new gen AMD release wccftech and other clickbait sites have said "it might be Dual GPU?!?!" and every single time they've been wrong. Remember when Fury was apparently 2 Tonga's glued together according to them? The 490 will not be a dual gpu card. Those rumors are nothing but cheap clicks

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013
Hmm, It seems like AMD has priority supply agreement regarding 2Gbps HBM2s like in case of HBM gen.1, so SK Hynix removed them from product databook.

It doesn't make sense to have 2Gbps stacks ready in Q3 2016 and then no availability in Q1 2017. Production stopped? I don't think so

Anyway, AMD claimed 512GB/s for Vega 10 SenseMI
amd-vega-10-specificaskkli.jpg

I hope they don't use that rear b

Just for info, GP100 is using Samsung 1.4Gbps (715 MHz) HBM2 stacks connected to 4096-bit interface (8x 512-bit blocks) => 720GB/s

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013
I hope they don't use that rear blower design for the launch cards this time.

Didn't work for the 290s, not exactly the cooler of choice for Pascal.

I've wondered more than once why the OEM cards don't launch with a 2 or 3 fan HSF when they're superior for everything except multi GPU. (which seems on the way out anyway)

AMD has a chance to make a big difference here if they don't save $.03 on a plastic shroud blower for the review parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.