Vega Color Depth and DRM question

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
With the upcoming AMD card will it support two things:

1. Does the card support 10bit colour depth on the consumer version of the card. (I have a 4K 10bit display and would like to see my content (photographer) in 10bit in photoshop).

2. If I got the Vega card would I be able to play 4K UHD Bluray content from the 4K Bluray Player to the Monitor? I know the PC bluray 4K players aren't out yet, just wondering if the gfx card will support the drm tech to play 4K content on your PC.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
With the upcoming AMD card will it support two things:

1. Does the card support 10bit colour depth on the consumer version of the card. (I have a 4K 10bit display and would like to see my content (photographer) in 10bit in photoshop).

2. If I got the Vega card would I be able to play 4K UHD Bluray content from the 4K Bluray Player to the Monitor? I know the PC bluray 4K players aren't out yet, just wondering if the gfx card will support the drm tech to play 4K content on your PC.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can get that with something like a 1050, at least. Maybe even a 460? 4K video and certainly 1080p video is not very taxing for cards one or even 2 generations old.

About the 10bit, I'm not sure, but I think that is more a concern with the display. Meaning, the GPU is not going to be the limiting factor.

If you are doing video rendering in 1080 or even 4K, that could be a different issue. But yeah--the new Vega card will be fine for that, but so will the ~midrange stuff 470/480/1060 out from AMD and nVidia right now. I *think* thought that CPU is more limiting piece of hardware there.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
When I mean 4K I don't mean the gpu processing power needed to power 4K video, my current card can do that. I was talking about playing 4K Bluray discs on the PC which "might" need some special hardware DRM on the gfx card to play at 4K on PC. I do have a 10bit display but currently not a 10bit capable card to display 10bit.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When I mean 4K I don't mean the gpu processing power needed to power 4K video, my current card can do that. I was talking about playing 4K Bluray discs on the PC which "might" need some special hardware DRM on the gfx card to play at 4K on PC. I do have a 10bit display but currently not a 10bit capable card to display 10bit.

The only processor-based DRM that I am aware of right now is on the Kaby Lake (7th gen, brand new) line of Core processors from Intel, and this is only to play 4k on Netflix.