Vdroop mod

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Hey, just a question about Vdroop. I have a older motherboard [P5b-Deluxe] and I just did the pencil mod on it to reduce the Vdroop...This board is notorious for it, reducing voltage by .50 under load. Anyways, the mod is working fine and I now have a tiny drop under load [1.39 from 1.4 underload].

My question is whether or not Vdroop effects Ram voltage, NB/SB vdroop aswell. And in particular, if anyone knows if the Vdroop mod for the P5b series effects all Vdroop, or just cpu.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Someone here might know, but you might want to try asking in the motherboard forum as well.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I looked it up more and it appears its for CPU vdroop only...Which sucks, because my ram is at 2.15V now, and my next option is 2.50v for Ram [which is pushing it]. Im sure the Ram is really running at 1.08v or less. Oh well.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
There really shouldn't be any sort of Vdroop for the ram as ram usually only gets a varying current when it is doing a write. Even then, it is quite minimal. With a near constant current requirement, vdroop is much less of an issue.

The NB might experience a little vDroop. However, the main culprit will almost always be the CPU. It experiences a large vDroop mainly because it is the component that will draw the most current of all the components on the board. That large draw is what causes the droop.