Vcore spike 5 voltage on my i7 6700k last 3 seconds do you thing it.s a real spike ?

yafatana

Sep 2, 2015
Yesterday I noticed a sudden vcore spike at 5V according to system information viewer does it a real spike or what ? Cpu temp when the spike happened was 12.31 C system temp was 0.31 C pch temp was 3.31C also the +12 volt dropped to 1.0680V at the second when the vcore spike happened +3.3 v dropped to 0.0120v also at the second when the vcore spike happened my cpu opt fan was running at 600 rpm even I don't have anything plugged to it . The vcore spike and all of these readings last only 2 seconds according to gigabyte system information viewer also I noticed half minute reading there is an 3 seconds off readings of sensors in system information viewer . I just want to khnow do you thing it is a real 5 voltage vcore spike ? I7 6700k with gigabyte z170x gaming 5

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
With all of those sensors reading wrongly like that, I think that it is just a glitch. I don't think that your computer would keep operating, if the 3.3V line was 1.05V.

Were you running two monitoring programs at once? That can screw up readings as well.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
For the short time that I had my 6700K with a Gigabyte Z170X UD5, I noticed the same thing. CPU-Z gave me ridiculous voltage readings and HW-Monitor also had wrong voltages in the top section. I believe this is due to not fully supporting the Z170 chipset yet. HardOCP noted the voltage readings on CPU-Z for their 6700K were wrong as well in one of their reviews. Anyways, I returned my Skylake system due to it being very unstable at stock settings. It was probably the motherboard with its very immature BIOS that was the cause.

yafatana

Sep 2, 2015
With all of those sensors reading wrongly like that, I think that it is just a glitch. I don't think that your computer would keep operating, if the 3.3V line was 1.05V.

Were you running two monitoring programs at once? That can screw up readings as well.
. Yes I was running 3 monitoring programs at the same time but I run again the programs at the same time and proplem did not happened also when the 5 v vcore spike happened 3.3v line was 0.0120 but my computer did not turned off

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It's difficult to accurately measure most rails unless a program has been specifically programmed with a profile for your motherboard.

It may be something worth keeping an eye on but unless you notice something that persistently bothers you it may be nothing.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes I was running 3 monitoring programs at the same time
Then that's your reason.

If you are running multiple monitoring programs at once, when their hardware driver decides to poll the hardware, if another monitoring program decides to poll the hardware at the same instant, you will get bad readings.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
Just run a stress test program for a while. If it doesn't crash, then don't worry about those "readings."