Vcore set too low???

kevinali

Feb 21, 2007
Hey all,

I have a gigabyte x38-dq6 (bios f7) and i currently have my q6600 set to 3 ghz (333 x 9) and i have the load line calibration set to enable in the bios.

CPU Z reports a Vcore of 1.152V at 3 Ghz. This Vcore is rock steady under all loads and the computer is stable (othos prime 95 after 8 hrs, no change). I noticed that if i enable speedstep, the frequency varies from 2 to 3 Ghz but the Vcore stays the same, so there is really no energy savings of having speed step enabled. I have it currently disabled and run at 3 ghz all the time

Core temp reports idle temps at 31 and load temps of 39-42

Should i increase Vcore??

Kevin

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
If your system is completely stable, why would you want to increase the voltage?

At any rate, what are you using to measure your temps, and what is your cooling setup? 42C at full load on a quad core seems low to me.

Edit: Oh, do you mean increase voltage so that Speedstep is able to decrease it as needed?

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Well, if it's stable, you DON'T want to increase vCore.

and, BTW, you do save energy with SpeedStep. The voltage stays the same, but the amount of amperage the processor draws increases when your processor ramps up under load. So the voltage stays the same, but the wattage changes.

kevinali

Feb 21, 2007
I just want to have a stable system with no problems, and from what i have been reading 1.152 seems low (long term affects??)

Cooling is the OCZ Vindiactor with an Nexus 120 mm silent fan running at full 12V

Kevin

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
If it's stable, then it's not "too low" and there are no longer term effects from undervolting.

What program are you using to measure temps?