[VC] AMD Radeon HD 9000 Series Launching in October?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Compute intensive stuff. In my case GPU rendering for 3D design being 3 GB the absolute minimum needed.

"buy a Tesla or FirePro" isn't an answer since any GTX or HD will beat them badly speed wise.

Lets design a GPU that is targeted towards gamers for the needs of Compute intensive stuff.

Doesn't really sound like a great idea does it? Just because YOU in particular want something, doesn't mean a company should set a baseline for you. It's a gaming GPU, no need to hit 6GB of ram. That just pushes up costs and cuts profit margins. The person who pushes for that relentlessly at AMD probably gets fired.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
You must have been on vacation during that time then. That was when Silverforce started posting here (it was his grand entrance, with posts and threads prophetically proclaiming huge performance leaps) and many of the pro-AMD'rs ate it up and repeated it as gospel. I clearly remember Silverforce, Will, Mrk6, and Groover emphatically predicting it to be the new single gpu performance champ, and that was after the gtx580 came out. Anyways, like I said I think it will trade blows with GTX780, much in the same vein of 770 and 7970GE comparisons. And it will push Nvidia to release a gtx785 with slightly-better-than Titan performance (but with DP still heavily castrated). And then we'll be exactly where we were at 40nm with Nvidia having the top card about 15% faster than AMD's best and Nvidia's 2nd card trading blows with AMD's top card, except with higher prices across the board.

The numbers were not too high when you look at multiple reviews.
780 > 7970g by ~20%
Titan > 7970g by ~30%

The 9970 only has to be 20% faster to be 10% less than the Titan and if its faster it'll probably be trading blows. If they don't leave so much room for overclocking and actually try max out the architecture it shouldn't be too hard to both increase the per clock computing as well as raise the clocks to get a meager 30% gain.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
First of all it'll be no small feat to beat the GTX780 and if they can pull it off for $500 or less its a winner I'd reckon.:thumbsup:

What? We should get Titan performance for $250!! Anything else would be a disappointment!! I mean it IS AMD's fault that we have such high prices right now...so their only recourse to win back mindshare is to price the 9XXX series at $300 and below. :D

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Lets design a GPU that is targeted towards gamers for the needs of Compute intensive stuff.

Tahiti and GK110 anyone?

Doesn't really sound like a great idea does it? Just because YOU in particular want something, doesn't mean a company should set a baseline for you. It's a gaming GPU, no need to hit 6GB of ram. That just pushes up costs and cuts profit margins. The person who pushes for that relentlessly at AMD probably gets fired.

There's at least 2 6GB HD 7970s SKUs, Titan is 6GB and you shouldn't sit for too long till you see a 6GB GTX 780. Try to get an used 3GB GTX 580 that roflstomp over any GK 104 variant. Everyone said back then that it was a waste of money and now you can ask 250€ for them when the 1.5GB sells for barely 150€.

It was just wishful thinking hoping to save several hundreds in a new render rig. I'm cool spending 500€ in a 6GB HD 7970, not that much 750€+ on a 6GB GTX 780.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Surprisingly, there are games using compute related features. Even older ones such as Metro 2033 are using compute. Now, I don't think AMD Should go all out with something akin to the Titan if it doesn't benefit games fully, but maybe there's a happy middle ground to be found somewhere.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Faster than 780 but slower than Titan? Thats a fine hair to split. It good that the cards will be fast, but with AMD's next gen playing catch up with Nvidia's current gen, I can't see how thats exciting or changes things since Maxwell will come out maybe 6 months after that and will rebalance things back to where they are now. It will all come down to price. Before maxwell, the cards should be priced about the same as a GTX 780. After maxwell, the new AMD cards will go down to $400 I bet, unless Maxwell sells for $1,500 (probably will).

Releasing second hasn't hurt nVidia. There is no difference to what AMD is doing. There's also no reason to think that AMD won't be first on 20nm. nVidia is typically months behind AMD on a new mode as well.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Compute intensive stuff. In my case GPU rendering for 3D design being 3 GB the absolute minimum needed.

"buy a Tesla or FirePro" isn't an answer since any GTX or HD will beat them badly speed wise.

I would say having to spend an extra ~$100 to get a 6gig card for your special niche need isn't asking too much. Rather than charging the masses for it, who don't really need it.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Lets design a GPU that is targeted towards gamers for the needs of Compute intensive stuff. Doesn't really sound like a great idea does it?
You're an idiot. Compute performance is good for gaming also, as Grid 2 uses compute features as does the entire Forward+ rendering method.

RGBA16FP render targets look better than RGBA8 ones do, the same thing applies to shader precision.

Last edited by a moderator:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You're an idiot. Compute performance is good for gaming also, as Grid 2 uses compute features as does the entire Forward+ rendering method.

RGBA16FP render targets look better than RGBA8 ones do, the same thing applies to shader precision.

Who's the idiot? Try addressing the subject of his post rather than taking it out of context.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I would say having to spend an extra ~$100 to get a 6gig card for your special niche need isn't asking too much. Rather than charging the masses for it, who don't really need it.

More likely $200 which obviously is way higher than the added VRAM amount price.

Bet you'd like a 3GB Titan @ $800.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
More likely $200 which obviously is way higher than the added VRAM amount price.

Bet you'd like a 3GB Titan @ $800.

LOL ;)

No. $550 for a 3gig Titan would be good. I also wouldn't spend an extra $200 for 3gig of GDDR5.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
LOL ;)

No. $550 for a 3gig Titan would be good. I also wouldn't spend an extra $200 for 3gig of GDDR5.

You bet.

That's my point, $200 extra for 3GB of GDDR5 is way too much. I hope the PS4 and other stuff will bring the price down.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Well, toldja so about back to school target launch :) AMD is shooting above a Titan for performance

Back to school is beginning of Sept. The cards would need to be released end of Aug. to be viable for that and they are prediction? "AMD Radeon HD 9000 Series Launching in October"

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :p

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Back to school is beginning of Sept. The cards would need to be released end of Aug. to be viable for that and they are prediction? "AMD Radeon HD 9000 Series Launching in October"

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :p

According to the article

My information is more optimistic. Unless the roadmap has changed, AMD could show off the new series in September. Some sources even claim it could be the first week of September.

My information agrees with his information. The cards are already well underway in production.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Showing and releasing are not the same thing. In September you've already missed the back to school sales.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Showing and releasing are not the same thing. In September you've already missed the back to school sales.

Well, I don't think it's going to be a hard launch knowing how AMD is with release hardware, but the first reviews should be popping up around then.

zlejedi

Mar 23, 2009
Can they fit it into 250W TDP ? 7970 Ghz is close to 780 power consumption and AMD will be running it's new and fresh GPU against cutdown Tesla parts which Nvidia has been producing for months.

Also I guess we could see 780 ti with one additional cluster enabled but 3GB of ram to keep Titan position if it happens.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Id really love to see AMD release something that takes the single GPU crown from nVIDIA convincingly.

But I guess nVIDIA still has one ace up its sleeve, which would be a limited SKU based on a full fledged GK110 with 6GB of memory or something in those lines @ a TDP of 300W (dual 8-pin anyone?). Itd be nice to bring back the "ultra" slogan.

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Can they fit it into 250W TDP ? 7970 Ghz is close to 780 power consumption and AMD will be running it's new and fresh GPU against cutdown Tesla parts which Nvidia has been producing for months.

Also I guess we could see 780 ti with one additional cluster enabled but 3GB of ram to keep Titan position if it happens.

Hawaii is 6+8

Id really love to see AMD release something that takes the single GPU crown from nVIDIA convincingly.

But I guess nVIDIA still has one ace up its sleeve, which would be a limited SKU based on a full fledged GK110 with 6GB of memory or something in those lines @ a TDP of 300W (dual 8-pin anyone?). Itd be nice to bring back the "ultra" slogan.

Hawaii is targeted to beat a hypothetical Titan Ultra already, unless they go nuts on the clocks AMD will have the crown until Maxwell

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Hawaii is 6+8

Hawaii is targeted to beat a hypothetical Titan Ultra already, unless they go nuts on the clocks AMD will have the crown until Maxwell

Mate, you sure are making a lot of unsubstantiated claims. I hope you're right, because if you're not it turns into an arguing point for the nVidia supporters. Just like you are seeing now with people comparing you to another poster who your style closely emulates. ;)

Feb 19, 2009
Its a 28nm refresh, its not going to be spectacular. AMD have shown no will to go with a big die so the best they can hope for are refined design that hit higher clockspeeds.. but lets not kid ourselves, 780 and Titan aren't massive performance targets, 15-25% is easily within reach.

Its bad for consumers, because you could have had this performance over a year ago, get a 7970, OC it to 1.2ghz and there you have it, 780 speeds. I'm still surprised by the low expectations from NV, so many forum posters are filled with glee at the gtx770 refresh when its nothing more than a higher boosting 680. Sure, its priced lower, but the original was a major rip off. Overall, 28nm has been a win for early adopters who got 7950 or gtx670 and OC them. The rest has been meh... and its going to be a long long time til 20nm GPUs with qualcomm and apple eating up the wafers.

ps. This does not deserve the 9000 series name, its a weak refresh and not a major leap.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
@Cookie Monster...no way is AMD going to build a big die solution to Titan.
Chips of that size are very pricy to engineer and not in keeping with its strategy of "good enough" performance at mid range prices.
The 9 series cards will be a slicker,more efficient version of Tahiti with GCN2 enhancements and similar memory configs IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.