Variable rate APR credit card? Anyone have experience with these?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I just got an offer for a card at the prime rate + 4.99%, which is currently 8.99%. How high does the prime rate generally go?

It does offer a 0% fixed rate on balance transfers for 12 months, so maybe I'll just use it for that.

dvdrdiscs

Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
I just got an offer for a card at the prime rate + 4.99%, which is currently 8.99%. How high does the prime rate generally go?

It does offer a 0% fixed rate on balance transfers for 12 months, so maybe I'll just use it for that.

so that's like a 14% apr? hm. doesn't seem that great. the prime rate doesn't fluctate that dramatically. most of the time it's a half percentage up or down depending on the economy. in other words you're looking at a card that's going to consistently be around 14%. i would try to go for something in the single digit if you can, assuming you have the credit.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dvdrdiscs
Originally posted by: notfred

so that's like a 14% apr? hm. doesn't seem that great. the prime rate doesn't fluctate that dramatically. most of the time it's a half percentage up or down depending on the economy. in other words you're looking at a card that's going to consistently be around 14%. i would try to go for something in the single digit if you can, assuming you have the credit.

I mean that Prime + 4.99 = 8.99, which would make the prime rate itself be 4% right now

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Prime never moves very far man, it's been in the 3.8 to 3.9 for a LONG time.