Vandals show their true colors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: alchemize
Well it's either lefties that mean it or righties trying to make lefties look bad. My guess is the former since they are generally really good at this kind of thing.

ANDOVER ? The lyrics of a 1970s protest song and a reference to Iraq were scrawled on the town?s Vietnam Veterans Memorial this week.

?War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin,? was written in red marker along with a peace sign.

Near the base of the memorial where the phrase ?our cause is just? is etched, a vandal wrote ?just like in Iraq.?

I believe the link to that story was in one of the links that I posted, hence the original thread title. But whatever.

How about this guy? Can I call him anti-war? Don't worry, though, I won't dare question his patriotism.

Continuing to play thick, I see..... You didn't originally say, before you OP was edited, that some war protesters, or these war protesters or those war protesters showed their true colors, you said war protesters show their true colors which anybody who understands English understands to mean ALL war protesters. You tried in your original OP to tar the entire war protest movement as having as their true color and reality desecration of graves and memorials to the dead. It is why your OP was political, caused outrage with some, and presumably was edited. In your interest to smear those who would smear the dead, you went right out and smeared a lot of the living who are war protesters and would no more do this than fly. You did exactly what you were complaining about trying to deface all war protesters.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Continuing to play thick, I see..... You didn't originally say, before you OP was edited, that some war protesters, or these war protesters or those war protesters showed their true colors, you said war protesters show their true colors which anybody who understands English understands to mean ALL war protesters. You tried in your original OP to tar the entire war protest movement as having as their true color and reality desecration of graves and memorials to the dead. It is why your OP was political, caused outrage with some, and presumably was edited. In your interest to smear those who would smear the dead, you went right out and smeared a lot of the living who are war protesters and would no more do this than fly. You did exactly what you were complaining about trying to deface all war protesters.

Are you suggesting OP stereotyped the war protester? Everyone knows that not ALL of them act (or would act) like this. It's a damn shame that so many, unfortunately, do.

I still see no evidence that OP made any political reference. Those insinuating such appear to be attempting obfuscation of the disgusting deeds presented.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks for the title upgrade RD, didn't quite understand when reading this last night where the whole antiwar movement being responsible came into this. It could be just as easily said that the prowar crowd seems to only cares about memorials or the sanctity of funerals, seldom the actual living, breathing soldier. See how that works OP.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
These acts of vandalism could have been carried out by true war protesters, but it is just as likely to have been carried out by anarchists hiding behind or under the anti-war slogans.

Based on the way that anarchists tend to find excuses to cause trouble and break things I think they are far more likely to be guilty than the Cindy Shehan types.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Shivetya
Originally posted by: Rainsford

I don't know what's more pathetic, these idiots "protesting" by attacking the vets themselves (and the dead vets at that), or you idiots trying to make political hay out of it.

Sounds like someone can't bring themselves to declare these assholes for what they are, but instead has to try and divert the blame to the other side.

One word.

Loser.

Thanks for signing your post.

:laugh:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster

Are you suggesting OP stereotyped the war protester? Everyone knows that not ALL of them act (or would act) like this. It's a damn shame that so many, unfortunately, do.

I still see no evidence that OP made any political reference. Those insinuating such appear to be attempting obfuscation of the disgusting deeds presented.

No I'm not suggesting your statement, War protesters show their true colors, made any political reference, I am saying positively and categorically that it was a blanket slur against any war protester and that you intended just that, just as you can't seem to find the intelligence to note that pointing this out to you was some attempt to obfuscate the issue or somehow justify those turds. You strike me as a person so filled with some distorted passion you have lost the capacity to rationally think.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Please, like I'm being lectured by you about this. If Xman had simply posted a story about this and said "this is terrible, why would anyone do this no matter what their views", I would have condemned these idiots and not said a thing about politics. But I'm not trying to obfuscate anything, this was a political thread from the very first post...don't like it, leave politics at the water's edge. But if you don't, I sure as hell am not going to.

I'm disgusted about it, as we all should be. It makes no difference what party the vandals represent or their political views. This sort of defacing and vandalism happens even around here from time to time.
Well at least we can agree on that.
How did you infer this was a "political post"?

The phrasing of the original thread title was kind of a giveaway. But slightly more obvious was your link to FreeRepublic, which took all of 4 seconds to turn this into an anti-war and then lefty bash-fest.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Edited title as none of the links state the vandalism was done by Anti War Protestors

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

===========================================

Thank you :thumbsup:

You do condemn these vandals though...dont you Dave?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
These acts of vandalism could have been carried out by true war protesters, but it is just as likely to have been carried out by anarchists hiding behind or under the anti-war slogans.

Based on the way that anarchists tend to find excuses to cause trouble and break things I think they are far more likely to be guilty than the Cindy Shehan types.

Heh, here we go. The professor sheds his light upon the evil-doers once again. :roll:

Anarchists who "destroy things" are not "looking for excuses", the excuses are smeared into their faces by the TRUE enemies of freedom, wrapped up in the American flag along with a cross and an exceptionally foul smelling human stool.

Don't worry though, this is just an example. You could include any religious symbol or flag, you're not special.

Lastly, an anarchist is most certainly a "true war protester". Whatever the hell that means. Anti-war is intrinsically an anarchist trait.

It would be wise to stop spreading lies and nasty myths about people who you find offensive or too different for your tastes. Don't even pretend to claim your hate is a cause of a "moral compass" or "facts", it is anything but.

Perhaps the United States should stop "looking for reasons" to start "wars".

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

And I suppose anyone not caught up in reliving Vietnam (read some of those Freeper comments) will realize that anti-war does NOT mean anti-soldiers this particular time around. In fact, most anti-war folks seem to feel they are supporting the troops as much as the pro-war people. Whatever you might personally feel about that viewpoint, the fact is that there has been very little "anti-troop" activity to go along with this latest round of anti-war protests. So you're probably right about the guilty parties here.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: manowar821

Heh, here we go. The professor sheds his light upon the evil-doers once again. :roll:

Anarchists who "destroy things" are not "looking for excuses", the excuses are smeared into their faces by the TRUE enemies of freedom, wrapped up in the American flag along with a cross and an exceptionally foul smelling human stool.

Don't worry though, this is just an example. You could include any religious symbol or flag, you're not special.

Lastly, an anarchist is most certainly a "true war protester". Whatever the hell that means. Anti-war is intrinsically an anarchist trait.

It would be wise to stop spreading lies and nasty myths about people who you find offensive or too different for your tastes. Don't even pretend to claim your hate is a cause of a "moral compass" or "facts", it is anything but.

Perhaps the United States should stop "looking for reasons" to start "wars".

I'm not sure why you have a problem with what he said. Substitute assholes for anarchists and it would read pretty much the same. I'm not altogether sure he wasn't using a euphemism. In any case people do random acts of stupidity without being anti anything.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Shivetya

I don't know what's more pathetic, these idiots "protesting" by attacking the vets themselves (and the dead vets at that), or you idiots trying to make political hay out of it.

Sounds like someone can't bring themselves to declare these assholes for what they are, but instead has to try and divert the blame to the other side.

One word.

Loser.

Thanks for signing your post.

lmfao

Deudalus

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821

The phrase anti-war anarchist is an oxymoron.

They might think otherwise only because they are ignorant, stupid, uneducated, or a combination of the 3.

Anyone with a smidgeon of historical understanding will know for a fact that anarchy breeds the worst possible kinds of genocide, rape, murder, and death in tolls that are incomputable.

Therefore anarchists are either in love with violence and war and want anarchy to bring more of it.

Or they simply too stupid to realize that promoting anarchy is promoting violence and war.

But then again that is an oxymoron too because people with smidgeons of historical understand, logic, reasoning, and intelligence are not anarchists.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I know making generalizations is an easy and convenient method for trying to understand the world. But for the sake of interesting forum dialogue and discussion try to get beyond painting everything into "us and them", "leftie vs rightie", or any other kind of dichotomies.

If you look deeper into most issues you will find that the world is more complex than that.