Vandals show their true colors

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I consider myself anti-war and was against this war in Iraq before it even started. Just don't ask me to support this group of vandals because we don't want any part of them either.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I don't know what's more pathetic, these idiots "protesting" by attacking the vets themselves (and the dead vets at that), or you idiots trying to make political hay out of it.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford

I don't know what's more pathetic, these idiots "protesting" by attacking the vets themselves (and the dead vets at that), or you idiots trying to make political hay out of it.

I'll bookmark your post so I can link to it the next time somebody tries to say Christians bomb abortion clinics. ;)

Nowhere in my post do I say all anti-war folks are responsible for stuff like this. That's just ignorant. But if you guys don't police your ranks it damages your point of view.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

Why so defensive?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: XMan

I'll bookmark your post so I can link to it the next time somebody tries to say Christians bomb abortion clinics. ;)

Nowhere in my post do I say all anti-war folks are responsible for stuff like this. That's just ignorant. But if you guys don't police your ranks it damages your point of view.

Uh, what? What does my post have to do with Christians bombing abortion clinics?

In any case, I wasn't talking to you in particular, but several of your links contain exactly that opinion. As for "policing our ranks", that would seem to be obviously difficult to do, as anyone at all can claim to be an anti-war protester and do anything they like. The fact that the pro-war crowd is way more concerned about a few morons than the overall point of the anti-war movement is also not something anyone has a lot of control over, and not too surprising either.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome

Why so defensive?

What kind of question is that? Being lumped in with morons like this isn't something I really appreciate under most circumstances...would you?

Besides, I'm getting a little tired of the "pro-war" crowd waving the "support the troops" banner only when it's a convenient stick to hit their political opposition with.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

I'd say the member posting such ridiculous rhetorical questions...

The fact that you'd even attempt to obfuscate this is rather appalling. It's a new low, Rainsford.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
That's terrible, why would they rile up public opinion? Shooting themselves in their own foot! Sounds like it serves the opposition more then the war protesters. Ya don't think!!!

Edit;; TOO BAD I READ the articles and they ONLY mention vandals, NOTHING about War Protesters, knee jerk posts I live to laugh at them,,ROFLMAO. :roll:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

I'd say the member posting such ridiculous rhetorical questions...

The fact that you'd even attempt to obfuscate this is rather appalling. It's a new low, Rainsford.

Please, like I'm being lectured by you about this. If Xman had simply posted a story about this and said "this is terrible, why would anyone do this no matter what their views", I would have condemned these idiots and not said a thing about politics. But I'm not trying to obfuscate anything, this was a political thread from the very first post...don't like it, leave politics at the water's edge. But if you don't, I sure as hell am not going to.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
as a vietnam era draftee/retired veteran myself i'm as pissed off about it as anyone else would be, as i've got buddies that were kia'd engraved into the wall as well as the memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater.

however, to assume that anti-war protesters and only anti-war protesters were responsible is being rather presumptuous. those acts of vandalism could have been perped for any number of reasons, all the way from anti-anti-war protesters trying to kick up some support for their cause to adolescent malcontents out wilding and having fun spreading hatred and mayhem.

i reserve affixing culpability until the real perps are apprehended and found guilty.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Jesus... I'm pretty active and all, but I'd never think once about desecrating the memorial of veterans. That's disgusting, and it gives other protesters a terrible image in easily manipulated peoples eyes (which is sadly the majority).

Why do these idiots insist of getting themselves and others negative attention?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Desecrate the tombs and headstones of the politicians who killed our fine young soldiers... never the soldiers.. they are heroes who follow orders from politicians they may hate.. but they still do it for their country

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
I've seen kids deface randomly chosen graves. It may be nothing more than a bunch of idiots (they did learn it somewhere though) out for a night of mayhem.

I'm more disturbed that when there is a group of morons such as this, there are peers and parents that taught them this kind of thing, either through neglect or actively twisting these people to be who they are.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005

Sounds like someone can't bring themselves to declare these assholes for what they are, but instead has to try and divert the blame to the other side.

One word.

Loser.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Shivetya

Sounds like someone can't bring themselves to declare these assholes for what they are, but instead has to try and divert the blame to the other side.

One word.

Loser.

Thanks for signing your post.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: tweaker2
as a vietnam era draftee/retired veteran myself i'm as pissed off about it as anyone else would be, as i've got buddies that were kia'd engraved into the wall as well as the memorial at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Punchbowl Crater.

however, to assume that anti-war protesters and only anti-war protesters were responsible is being rather presumptuous. those acts of vandalism could have been perped for any number of reasons, all the way from anti-anti-war protesters trying to kick up some support for their cause to adolescent malcontents out wilding and having fun spreading hatred and mayhem.

i reserve affixing culpability until the real perps are apprehended and found guilty.

Thanks for the really intelligent post.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The people who did this are assholes. The people who want to say this shows the true colors of the left are assholes.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Please, like I'm being lectured by you about this. If Xman had simply posted a story about this and said "this is terrible, why would anyone do this no matter what their views", I would have condemned these idiots and not said a thing about politics. But I'm not trying to obfuscate anything, this was a political thread from the very first post...don't like it, leave politics at the water's edge. But if you don't, I sure as hell am not going to.

I'm disgusted about it, as we all should be. It makes no difference what party the vandals represent or their political views. This sort of defacing and vandalism happens even around here from time to time. How did you infer this was a "political post"?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Edited title as none of the links state the vandalism was done by Anti War Protestors

Anandtech Senior Moderator
Red Dawn

===========================================

Thank you :thumbsup:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Well it's either lefties that mean it or righties trying to make lefties look bad. My guess is the former since they are generally really good at this kind of thing.

ANDOVER ? The lyrics of a 1970s protest song and a reference to Iraq were scrawled on the town?s Vietnam Veterans Memorial this week.

?War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin,? was written in red marker along with a peace sign.

Near the base of the memorial where the phrase ?our cause is just? is etched, a vandal wrote ?just like in Iraq.?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
Well it's either lefties that mean it or righties trying to make lefties look bad. My guess is the former since they are generally really good at this kind of thing.

ANDOVER ? The lyrics of a 1970s protest song and a reference to Iraq were scrawled on the town?s Vietnam Veterans Memorial this week.

?War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin,? was written in red marker along with a peace sign.

Near the base of the memorial where the phrase ?our cause is just? is etched, a vandal wrote ?just like in Iraq.?

I believe the link to that story was in one of the links that I posted, hence the original thread title. But whatever.

How about this guy? Can I call him anti-war? Don't worry, though, I won't dare question his patriotism.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The problem is that people have sacrificed their lives for some idiots to show that lack of appreciation.

I support freedom of speach, but I also expect respect for those that allow it to happen.