• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Vandal Switch installation

l8braker

Dec 16, 2020
I'm having troubles installing a Vandal Switch (momentary) with LED. I have an Asus B550-I mb and I've attached a copy of the headers from the manual. I got the LED part ok but can't seem to get the power on. I've tried just about every combination between NC, NO and C with the mb's headers and the best I'm able to get when I press the power button is 2-3 seconds of power and then it shuts off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The "Vandal switch" as you call it, is referred to as CI, "Chassis Intrusion". It's a two-pin header, that is normally connected to a switch that is normally open, but closed when mechanically secured (I think)? Anyways, there's usually a BIOS enable that has to be done, to enable it, and then, if the case is opened, the switch activates a register in CMOS or in the LPCIO chipset or somewhere, and ... I've never messed with it, so I don't know what happens next. I assume Windows DMI / WMI can read the switch, don't know if there a specific Windows Power Management message that gets sent to apps or drivers if the CI is triggered, or just a BIOS setting that can be read out next time the system boots.

Look for a header labeled "CI" on the mobo, it's not part of the Front_Panel_IO header that you have pictured.

ASK THE COMMUNITY