Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

sanzen07

Feb 15, 2007
I still can't get over how awesome this game is. I've played through it every year around this time for the last 4 years and it's still fun every time despite the bugs. A sequel that captures the same atmosphere with better graphics and fewer bugs would be awesome. Anyone else playing through this right now?

RomanMtz

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
I got it when it was on sale on Steam... downloaded it and it wouldn't start... gave me some memory error. I read somewhere there was a patch but I haven't gotten around to getting it... any recommended mods?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'd pay for even a remake of the original game with more modern eye candy (higher poly count models, better textures, newer engine). But yes, a sequel would be very, very nice.

I was doing a fresh playthrough as a Malkavian a few months ago, but then got sidetracked by Borderlands and then Dragon Age: Origins (got the complete pack with all the DLC cheap in the last Steam sale.)

I've also played as a Toreador and Tremere, both fun. For first-time players I'd recommend a Toreador, melee rather than guns, and with high Celerity skill.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Awesome game, and the graphics are still decent. Though widescreen support is a bit wonky (using that custom tool)

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Got it in the Steam sale and was totally immersed in it for weeks. Surely one of the best gaming experiences I've had - and it's not exactly new. Awesome game, replayed it twice and will definitely go back to it in the future. I would love another game like that but don't know of any, although I am loving Deus Ex:HR now.

sanzen07

Feb 15, 2007
I'd pay for even a remake of the original game with more modern eye candy (higher poly count models, better textures, newer engine). But yes, a sequel would be very, very nice.

I was doing a fresh playthrough as a Malkavian a few months ago, but then got sidetracked by Borderlands and then Dragon Age: Origins (got the complete pack with all the DLC cheap in the last Steam sale.)

I've also played as a Toreador and Tremere, both fun. For first-time players I'd recommend a Toreador, melee rather than guns, and with high Celerity skill.

This is my fourth playthrough and I'm just now playing as Toreador. I have also played through as Ventrue, Malkavian and Tremere.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Played Torreador first time through, but couldn't quite get through the last battle. Want to play through again when I have the time.

FancyTurtle

Oct 7, 2011
only issue is that if you have more then a gig of ram the game has a bitch fit other then that one of the most memorable RPG's I have ever played

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
only issue is that if you have more then a gig of ram the game has a bitch fit other then that one of the most memorable RPG's I have ever played

Not if you install the Wesp or Tessmage patches. Both fix things for any amount of RAM and for 64-bit Windows.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Problem is that Troiaka games went under. They are the ones behind this and the ToEE game. Both among the best games made (IMHO), but both riddled with bugs brough about mostly by trying to develop both at the same time and not having enough resources or time to perfect.

Would be great to have some of the same people come together and form a new company. I'd definitely take a good hard look at anything they put out.

Murdoc

Jan 22, 2011
Got it during a Steam sale because I had read a lot of good things about it. I'm playing as Nosferatu because that's what the game picked for me to play. I normally dislike RPG's but this one I'm really enjoying.

Atmosphere is what makes this game great. I love exploring all of the buildings, tunnels, caves, dungeons, etc. I would definitely play a sequel or remake. Someone should make a "spiritual successor" to this game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got the Steam version and the quests keep breaking.
Annoying, especially considering how many people praise it. I want so badly to get in and enjoy the game.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you install the Wesp Basic or Tessmage patch?

You need to. Then start over so all the quest flags get set properly.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
Still one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. Not surprised ppl are still talking about it years later.

Dekasa

Mar 25, 2010
Dangit.... I end up reinstalling this all the time and doing a playthrough half the time it's mentioned. Such a great game. Atmosphere is amazing, story is enough. Tons of fun all around, with any clan.

Although anyone who hasn't gone through as a Malkavian should. It's incredible.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
I finished it recently...

With one of the unofficial patches, bugs weren't an issue for the most part. Playing as a Tremere, I found the very beginning to be a bit difficult (due to my skill choices), mid-game to be a breeze and the end-game battles were just right.

I felt this game was similar to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy in that the beginning and middle were excellent and then somewhere towards the end, it seemed like the developers just gave up and rushed it toward a sloppy (horrendous in Indigo Prophecy's case) end.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I bought it on Steam months ago.

Back then I read that unofficial patches existed, but I didn't know which one of those to go with so I just Googled one named "Gold Final" I think it was. I had problems installing it and eventually I think it worked. Anyway, bottom line is that I played some time and I liked it, I was impressed by the dialog and the voice over quality. It's not installed now and I deleted that saved-game long ago but I'll definitely try to play it again eventually.

One question though, I don't have that unofficial patch anymore, but I know that more than one unofficial patch exists for it, so I have to ask which one is "the" unofficial patch to use? The one (if there's such a thing) to be considered and acknowledged as the best one to get.