Valve and their stupid Orange Box

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There are three valve "games" coming out soon, HL2 Episode2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal.

Alot of their current customers own alot of their previous games, HL2 and EP1 just as a very popular example.

Still so far I have only seen them offering the Orange box, which includes a whole lot of stuff people have already bought. So it does seem like quite a bit of waste to buy that.

The other option is buying TF2 standalone.. not ep2.. episode based gaming is dead then.

Is this how it will be?

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
A wise (wo?)man on this board once mentioned, that if the Orange box was $65 and the three games were offered at $45, everyone would think it was a steal...

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
true

but originaly people were supposed to be buying episode2 on an episode price and get tf2 and portal with it, if indeed tf2 is that awsome as most people think it is then I would not see anything wrong with rising the price a bit

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i must have missed that original plan. $45 doesn't seem bad too me for 3 new games and an extra steam account w/ hl2 and hl2e1.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
I don't really consider this "rebuying" HL1 or HL2 episode 1. I consider it buying Team Fortress 2, HL Episode 2, and PORTAL. Those three games alone are worth more than $50 in my opinion. The fact that they threw in HL2 and Episode 1 makes it a mindblowing deal for those who never played those games...and still a great deal for those of us who already have them.

If you already have the previous Half Life 2 games, just gift them away to someone for a birthday present ;)

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
I think you should look at it from a company point of view and stop bitching. You're still getting a good deal. Valve makes the most money this way, duh. That's what I would do if I was managing marketing and sales or whatever for Valve's Orange box. The weird thing is, is that if they were to release separately for 59.99 or whatever, you probably wouldn't bitch at all.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Episode 2 is 1/3 of a game on a nearly 4 year old engine that is a year late. Portal is a game (AFAIK) that was developed by some students, and TF2 is another game, (hopefully more of one than DOD-S) which may or may not deserve the title of "full game." DOD-S sure as hell isn't a full game in the way that crysis, FFOW, etc are

Anyway, 45 isnt that bad, but EP2 and Portal are not full games by any stretch.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Frackal
Episode 2 is 1/3 of a game on a nearly 4 year old engine that is a year late. Portal is a game (AFAIK) that was developed by some students, and TF2 is another game, (hopefully more of one than DOD-S) which may or may not deserve the title of "full game." DOD-S sure as hell isn't a full game in the way that crysis, FFOW, etc are

You are getting a $10 "game" (Portals) plus a $20 mod (TF2) plus a $20 episode (Ep 2) for $50.
Plus an extra copy of HL2 and Ep1, games you probably already own.

Based on other pricing.
GMod = $10 (comparable to Portals IMO)
DoD:S = $20
Episodic content (3 episode = 1 full game) $20 per episode.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

Who cares if the engine is 4 years old? With all the upgrades valve has done to Source, it still looks great.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
IMO it is a load of crap, and unless EP2 is superb or I can buy it seperately for less money, I'm not buying this time.

I've already played with the same old machine gun and grav gun against the same old enemies and play style as 3-4 years ago. Spicing up the graphics on the same old game that's now been released for the third time is not great. Finding a way to force anyone who wants to purchase it to pay 50 dollars for it is even dumber.

HL3 ought to be out by now with wholly new concepts. Valve has essentially polished and added new content to a 4 year old game and is still selling it for 50 dollars. Who cares if you get multiplayer mods to go with it.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I'm going to be a little disappointed if they don't sell ep2 separately. Not much point in episodic gameplay if it still takes them as long as a sequel to come out with each episode.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
TF2 is not a mod, Lonyo. It once was, years ago. Its no longer considered a mod.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Ackmed
TF2 is not a mod, Lonyo. It once was, years ago. Its no longer considered a mod.

It's effectively a mod which was bought by Valve and made official, like CS:S or DoD:S.
It should be priced on its own as ~$20, like DoD:S was.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo

It's effectively a mod which was bought by Valve and made official, like CS:S or DoD:S.

css wasnt 20 when it first came out.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo

No, its not. Several mods that have been hugely updated from various games, are now stand alone games. Its not a mod, you dont need HL2 or any other game to play it.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
IMO it is a load of crap, and unless EP2 is superb or I can buy it seperately for less money, I'm not buying this time.

I've already played with the same old machine gun and grav gun against the same old enemies and play style as 3-4 years ago. Spicing up the graphics on the same old game that's now been released for the third time is not great. Finding a way to force anyone who wants to purchase it to pay 50 dollars for it is even dumber.

HL3 ought to be out by now with wholly new concepts. Valve has essentially polished and added new content to a 4 year old game and is still selling it for 50 dollars. Who cares if you get multiplayer mods to go with it.

K we'll be playing a fantastic MP game without you.

Bye.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

Then don't buy it. Nobody cares.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
TF2 is worth the stand alone price of $29. To get everything else for $15 is a bargain.

I would have gladly paid $50 for TF2, the rest is just a bonus.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Kev

Then don't buy it. Nobody cares.

If you don't care, why respond to my post. I'm stating my opinion as validly as everyone else here. You on the other hand, along with the other guy on the bottom of page one, could stand to grow up a bit.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I have to say I'm in agreement here. I couldn't care less about H2 episodes, nor Portal, but I'd like to play TF2. But I won't be playing TF2 at that price. If they ever release it standalone at a decent price, and if the servers aren't dead by then, I'll buy it.

Oh well, I have UT3 to look forward to, and UT2004 to keep me entertained until then.

Edit: Oops, I didn't realize TF2 is available standalone at $30.00. I probably will pick this up then. :)