Valley of the Boom

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Coming to NatGeo Sunday.

Looks fairly well done.

That this is all musty, dimly known prehistory to many primates clutching smart phones on street corners really brings home the blistering pace of technological change we've lived through in the past few decades.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
awesome, looks like 2 episodes are already available on youtube TV, gonna check them out

edit: oh that's just the preview... still, looks like it's 43 mins though

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Will watch. Youngsters like to blame the baby boomer generation for a lot of problems today but we birthed technology. If we hadn't they would still be using landline phones and working manual labor jobs (not that there's anything wrong with that) and drinking jungle juice on Friday nights. Heh. Punks.

Reactions: Perknose

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Watched the four episodes that have played so far and really like it. It's a pseudo docudrama with some wacky characters. I remember the browser wars and had netscape for a while. But I don't remember the pixelon part with the character Michael Fenne, man what a wacko. So I give it a 9 out of 10 fun and informative. If you have any geek blood in you you should watch.

Reactions: Lanyap

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Watched the four episodes that have played so far and really like it. It's a pseudo docudrama with some wacky characters. I remember the browser wars and had netscape for a while. But I don't remember the pixelon part with the character Michael Fenne, man what a wacko. So I give it a 9 out of 10 fun and informative. If you have any geek blood in you you should watch.

lol why would you get a downvote for this type of comment? I think JediYoda is on the wrong meds again. :D

Mar 11, 2004
Where can I view this? I'd give it a chance. Bit disappointed its a dramatization and not more straight documentary, but with the right people could be good (Halt and Catch Fire was awesome, but its characters kinda ended up overshadowing the original draw of the show, which was its fictional but still relatively on point telling of tech history of that era; I didn't mind because I liked the characters).

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I watched the first two episodes, and they didn't really get the details right.

I lived through that era (working in an office about a mile from the Netscape building), so I can recognize when they have 1999 era computers on people's desks and it's supposed to be 1995.

Last edited: