Vacuum for Tile/Hardwood Floor Cleaning?

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I need a better way to clean about 1600 sq ft of hard flooring in my house.

Currently using Swiffer Dry on my hardwood. Does a good job with dust and hair, terrible with any sort of crumbs, pebbles or dirt.

Using a broom on my tile flooring. Great at crumbs and pebbles, not so good with dust, hair or dirt.

I have an upright with attachments and hard surface mode (i.e. turn the brush off) for my carpeted floors and have used it a little for the hard floors but it's too big to fit in tight spaces (under the bed, chairs, tables, etc.). I can always use the hose with attachments but the vacuum itself is a bit on the heavy side and the hose isn't very long.

So I'm looking to get something that is more portable like a direct suction canister. Something like one of the following:

http://simplicityvac.com/jack-canister-vacuum-cleaner
or
http://simplicityvac.com/sport-portable-vacuum-cleaner-237

Anybody have other ideas or suggestions? TIA.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
We have a Hoover cordless, lithium powered. It works well on hardwood, and decent enough on carpet. Run time is great.

It definitely doesn't get a deep clean on carpet, but we mainly use it on hard surfaces.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I start with one of these

casabella-grey-ergo-floor-duster.jpg

then do the swiffer.

Then twice a year I get on hands and knees with a towel and use this

BonaWood32.jpg

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We do a once over with our Shark, then spot check with broom + dust pan.

I will say, it's a PITA maintaining a house of hardwood, especially with a cat shedding its winter coat. I feel like we're constantly sweeping.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I will say, it's a PITA maintaining a house of hardwood with a cat shedding its winter coat. I feel like we're constantly sweeping.

Took out the "especially"

I used to own a golden retriever and heck yeah that made hardwoods a pain. But now without any animals I love it a zillion times better than nasty catch and hold everything in the padding carpet. Heck when I had "The Shedster" as I called him I would take hardwoods over carpet any day still. ;)

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The issue with most shop vacs is the filtering is sub-par. Why bother using a vacuum if all the dirt just blown out of the exhaust?

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

then do the swiffer.

BonaWood32.jpg

We actually received one of these with our Bona polish kit. It's been a lifesaver for getting dust/pet hair off the wood between cleanings :thumbsup:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Miele canisters are highly rated, but pricey. I cheaped out and went with a Panasonic canister for about $200. It's been great on hardwood, stairs, and carpet too. You can grab a hardwood attachment for less than $20, if your chosen canister doesn't come with a good one (mine came with one that is 8" wide...too small). My primary complaint with the Panasonic is that I'm 6'2", and the length of the extension is just slightly shorter than I'd like. Be sure to check this out in a store!

After having a canister, I'll never go back to an upright again. They're just too damned big and heavy. The canister has its own drawbacks but it is better in most ways.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
i use our upright to vacuum up the dog hair and junk, then i use a mop thing like above but with a microfiber cover and method wood floor cleaner. works well, floors look good after.

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
My vacuum supports attachments so I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Manta-Mop-Dust-Vacuum-Accessory/dp/B000XGFNJE

I've been happy with it. Worked great for pet hair.

Think I will try something like this first. If I find the upright too cumbersome to lug around I might spend the money on a suction only canister.

I do the dry clean (sweep/swiffer) and then wet clean (mop) that most people have mentioned, I'm just looking for a better way to do the dry portion of the cleaning, something that doesn't just push stuff around.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Get a Proteam backpack with a felt nozzle. They are HEPA and will pickup everything, get under tables & chairs without moving them.

Plus everyone will think you were in that movie ghost busters.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Just sweep the corners and tight spaces into the open areas then run the floor with your upright.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
For that money I'd rather buy a Festool.

I like Festool, but they're over priced. My Festool rail saw is pretty sweet, but DeWalt makes as good a tool for less money. The Festool sander looks like a hit as well, but I don't use one enough to justify the price. Festool also likes to use proprietary consumables, and they really over charge for them.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

then do the swiffer.

BonaWood32.jpg

My wife actually likes that also.

But we actually even have a built in vacuum system in the house that I finally have gotten her to use also that is a lot better than the regular noisy things she used to whip out.

I finally got her to do that for dry, she still uses the Swifter type other for cleaning it.

I don't even think it's a Swifter these days, but she still uses the Bona.

To be honest I even told her that the other day, I think a bucket and a sponge and a small amount of Dawn in water does as good as anything, without directly pouring water on anything.

You do not want to pool water on laminate, of course.

You said Hardwood, but I just wanted to point that one out.

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I like Festool, but they're over priced. My Festool rail saw is pretty sweet, but DeWalt makes as good a tool for less money. The Festool sander looks like a hit as well, but I don't use one enough to justify the price. Festool also likes to use proprietary consumables, and they really over charge for them.
I agree they are expensive but you identified a $580 MSRP vac. That's about the same price as the CT26E Festool vac which has similar performance. Plus, it's actually quiet (a major selling point) and it's made in Germany.