V-FIOS + Blue Iris + External View + Port Forwarding = No worky - Please help!

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I am looking to purchase BlueIris to setup a home video system that I would like to be able to view from anywhere at anytime. Right now, I am using the demo version. I have two DCS-910 IP cameras (for now) and I have set it up to already record (which it is doing now). The software is great and was very easy to setup.

Now, I am trying to setup external view. The HTTP web server is turned on because I can view it on my phone while I am in my own network. I setup DYNDNS and the updater on the machine that I installed BI on and can ping it externally:

XXXXX.dyndns.tv

Now is the problem. I believe Verizon FIOS blocks port 80. No big deal. I just went into the BI software and changed the port to 81 (as well as 90, 91, 8080 and a few others - which I will talk about soon). I then went into my Westell router and did a port forward to the machine IP 192.168.1.4 (machine Blue Iris is installed on) for these ports, saved it and the router shows the status as active.

I tried to access externally and I can't view it. I tried a ping on XXXXX.dyndns.tv:80 (81, 90, 91, 8080, etc) as I was testing each port config and could not get it to work. I installed a port scan app from Portforward.com and it shows ALL of my ports as being closed/unresponsive, but it can ping XXXXXX.dyndns.tv (or my IP address) just fine.

What am I doing wrong here?

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
When I do a scan using Angry IP scanner to my hostname xxxx.dyndns.tv from outside (here at work), I put in the hostname, check the IP and it changes the hostname to:

pool-xx-xx-xxx-xxx.prvdri.fios.verizon.net

I am starting to think there is an issue with FIOS and their equipment. Anyone have any ideas?

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
There is not an issue with their equipment, if you want to run services then you must pay for their business plan.

Also, the reason that pool-xx-xx-xxx-xxx.prvdri.fios.verizon.net resolves to your ip is that is the record that is put in by Verizon for the reverse lookup.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
There is not an issue with their equipment, if you want to run services then you must pay for their business plan.

Also, the reason that pool-xx-xx-xxx-xxx.prvdri.fios.verizon.net resolves to your ip is that is the record that is put in by Verizon for the reverse lookup.

Thats bullshit and a half Yinan. I can't even open up my FTP port...much less 80, 8080 or any other port.

I called Verizon last night and the 2nd level tech said Verizon does not actually block ports, its the router manufacture that does. Being that this is a Westell 9100em router, she is replacing it with their latest router (Actiontec with Gigabit and wirelessN). Funny thing though, Verizon doesn't actually "support" port forwarding. She gave me the number to call Westell. Funny thing about that too is the number she gave me was Verizon's tech support line. When she realized this, she was puzzled. I guess they don't know how to support the fucking equipment they sell.

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
It is not the router. They use the same router for residential and business plans. The best way to do things is not to use their crappy router and to use your own. Just have Verizon activate the CAT5 connection in the demarc box. You will still have to use their router as a MoCA bridge if you have FIOS TV though.

Residential they block all the useful services. It is why I have to have the business plan at home.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
It is not the router. They use the same router for residential and business plans. The best way to do things is not to use their crappy router and to use your own. Just have Verizon activate the CAT5 connection in the demarc box. You will still have to use their router as a MoCA bridge if you have FIOS TV though.

Residential they block all the useful services. It is why I have to have the business plan at home.

Will converting the demarc to CAT5 and using my own router change the "port" situation?

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
This is from my chat session just now with Verizon Tech Support:

Me: Can you please tell me what ports Verizon blocks on residential accounts?

Anahi: Thank you. Allow me to inform you that we do not block any ports on the router for residential accounts.

Me: then why can i not do port forwarding?
Me: i have ran several port checking websites and ALL ports seem to be closed
Me: i need to be able to send OUT on port 80
Me: can I do this?
Me: why is this?
Me: i can't even setup FTP....
Me: Remote Desktop
Me: VNC
Me: anything

Anahi: I apologize for the inconveniences, we do not support this, however, I could assist you to access the router account online and that way you will be able to find out if it is blocked and how to unblocked it.

Me: what do you mean you don't support this?
Me: i can't call Westell on this
Me: their website says to call u
Me: ok
Me: Here is the information on SUPPORT from Westell on the Westell 9100em
Me: This product was specifically designed for Verizon and all support for this product is handled directly by Verizon. Support Telephone: 888-553-1555

Anahi: I apologize but we do not provide support for this issue. In an effort to educate you on what is supported, please visit http://support.verizon.com/boundary to see what support options are available. Links to the available support options are provided alongside the type of issue making it easy to use this resource.

Me: You're a joke, what do you actually support?

Anahi(09:02:59): Thank you, but we do not support it, however, we do have a group that can help with both hardware and software upgrades and issues. For any assistance with your personal equipment you can sign up for our Expert Care http://surround.verizon.net/Shop/Expertcare/default.aspx or contact your computer/device manufacturer. To add this feature by phone, please call Sales at 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966) and they will be able to add this feature to your account. Please try to access and let me know if you re able to.
Anahi: That is as far as I can assist you with this configuration, but you can get signed up for our Expert Care group.
Anahi: Do you have any other questions I can assist you with at the moment

Me: u give me a link to pay $15 for "Expert" help?

Anahi: This are settings that we do not manage due to the importance they have, we let our knowledge customers handle their own private networks or personal configurations, this is done to keep the customer network security.
Anahi: They are Expert support because they handle even non Verizon equipment and software, which is more to take care of since Verizon did not manufactured.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
Yinan...his first response says so:

Anahi: Thank you. Allow me to inform you that we do not block any ports on the router for residential accounts.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I'm not sure what's blocked or not...

But Verizon doesn't want people running webservers and stuff off of their cheap residential connections.

•FiOS Internet 25/25 $34.99
spacer.gif
That's what I have. It's actually 30Mbps/30Mbps though. And then at work we have Comcast and it's 5Mbps/5Mbps for $500 / month.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I'm not sure what's blocked or not...

But Verizon doesn't want people running webservers and stuff off of their cheap residential connections.

That's what I have. It's actually 30Mbps/30Mbps though. And then at work we have Comcast and it's 5Mbps/5Mbps for $500 / month.

So I can't access ANYTHING at work from my home PC's/equipment without actually upgrading/changing to a business account?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I've had no problem running a webserver with ftp off my verizon fios residential connection about 6 months ago. Haven't tried recently, but I don't see what would have changed. I did need to log in to the router and turn off the firewall for my webserver. Actually, I just set the webserver as my "dmz host" and it worked.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I've had no problem running a webserver with ftp off my verizon fios residential connection about 6 months ago. Haven't tried recently, but I don't see what would have changed. I did need to log in to the router and turn off the firewall for my webserver. Actually, I just set the webserver as my "dmz host" and it worked.

If you don't mind, what router do you have with Verizon?

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
When I had FIOS, I had no problem forwarding ports for things like Xbox Live, game servers and whatnot. Is this software you installed on a Windows machine? Is the software firewall off? Any time of Antivirus software running? Do what Chiropteran said above and set your server to the DMZ host on the router. The computer in the DMZ will not have any ports blocked from the router.

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
When I had FIOS, I had no problem forwarding ports for things like Xbox Live, game servers and whatnot. Is this software you installed on a Windows machine? Is the software firewall off? Any time of Antivirus software running? Do what Chiropteran said above and set your server to the DMZ host on the router. The computer in the DMZ will not have any ports blocked from the router.

Set to DMZ. No go.

Windows XP Home is the OS.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Do you guys think something like OpenVPN is the way to go?

Last edited:

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
I have fios but am running their actiontec router with dd-wrt installed. I can confirm that none of my ports are blocked. I've run both ftp and http servers on port 21 and 80 without a problem. I use Blueiris as well and have no problem accessing it from an outside location.

One thing to try is to turn off your Windows Firewall completely. That gives me trouble sometimes.

They never said they didnt block them. Trust me they are blocked.
Not sure where you're getting that from. There is no evidence anywhere on the internet to back that up. The only port I see reports of them blocking is the outgoing mail server port 25.

Last edited:

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
I have fios but am running their actiontec router with dd-wrt installed. I can confirm that none of my ports are blocked. I've run both ftp and http servers on port 21 and 80 without a problem. I use Blueiris as well and have no problem accessing it from an outside location.

One thing to try is to turn off your Windows Firewall completely. That gives me trouble sometimes.

If I do the DD-WRT, I lose my channel guide, on demand and such on my TV right?

I am actually on chat with them right now to get that gigabit Actiontec router.

My firewall on both the router and the XP Home machine I have running BlueIris are turned off. Now, I do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on this PC. Should I remove?

Last edited:

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
Also, I just ran openportchecker.com on ports 21-85 on my FIOS IP address. All ports "closed". This has to be the damn router, right?

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
If I do the DD-WRT, I lose my channel guide, on demand and such on my TV right?

I am actually on chat with them right now to get that gigabit Actiontec router.

My firewall on both the router and the XP Home machine I have running BlueIris are turned off. Now, I do have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on this PC. Should I remove?
Yea dd-wrt currently does not support Moca so you will lose all that stuff. I was lucky in that the guy that came to install my Fios TV(Months after my Fios internet was installed) was a nice guy and gave me a second router. I hooked that router up to my old router and with a little configuration, I used that to bridge the Ethernet to the Coax.