Uwe Boll to retire

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm surprise he lasted as long as he did. How the hell did he keep getting work?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Good!^n

“The (video game movie) market is dead,” Boll told the paper, “you don’t make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies.”

...yeah, the market is dead because you killed it. Most movie directors try the VG movie concept once or twice because they usually don't do well and don't want to lose money. This guy just kept cranking them out, even though most or all of them were critical and commercial failures.

I'm surprise he lasted as long as he did. How the hell did he keep getting work?
From what I understand, Germany gives some nice subsidies for producing movies there. His work probably hurt Germany's bottom line more than his own.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
“The (video game movie) market is dead,” Boll told the paper, “you don’t make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies.”

Translation: Nobody will pay me a dime to film their kids birthday party.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Wasn't he self-financed for a very long time?
I guess he will now do TV shows.