Utility to change default audio track?

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I often download videos whose native audio track is English, but they have another language dubbed and set as the default audio track. The English track is always included.

Is there a simple utility that can be used to delete audio tracks and/or change the default track? These are mostly mkv, but also some mp4 containers.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Probably Handbrake... as long as the English track is encoded in the source material, you should be able to transcode it with English as the default.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Probably Handbrake... as long as the English track is encoded in the source material, you should be able to transcode it with English as the default.

Handbrake I think is a bit much unless the video itself has a problem.

OP download mkvtoolnix:

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

It will allow you to take almost any video file, delete or re-order tracks, and then remux the result as a new mkv. It is very quick because it doesn't touch the video stream.

It it also very useful for cutting up videos into samples.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Just remux the .mkv files with mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix. You can set the 'default' audio and subtitle tracks and they will be flagged on playback.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I have been using MKVMerge/MKVToolnix for a few years and I had no idea I could do that. I've been remuxing when I wanted to change defaults.