UT2003 quality tweaking

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
UT2003 has the same hidden menu that UT does. You access it by bringing down the console with the ~ key and type "preferences" (no quotes). From there you will have access to options not available in the normal menu. You can also just tweak the UT2003.ini file.

If you want to set up the game to run in max quality settings like the benches (maybe more), modify your UT2003.ini file:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
MinDesiredFrameRate=35.000000
Decals=True
Coronas=True
DecoLayers=True
Projectors=True
NoDynamicLights=False
ReportDynamicUploads=False
TextureDetailInterface=UltraHigh
TextureDetailTerrain=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWeaponSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailPlayerSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWorld=UltraHigh
TextureDetailRenderMap=UltraHigh
TextureDetailLightmap=UltraHigh

TextureMaxLOD=0
TextureMinLOD=0
NoFractalAnim=False
ScaleHUDX=0.000000

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=True
SuperHighDetailActors=True
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=100
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=False
Use16bitTextures=False
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=False
LevelOfAnisotropy=1 <----increase this for a higher level of Anisotropic filtering
DetailTexMipBias=0.800000
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.500000
UseNPatches=False <-------for the ATI guys
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
DecompressTextures=False
UseXBoxFSAA=False
DescFlags=0
Description=

lung

Apr 17, 2002
Thanks. Now I can't wait to get home and put my 9700 through the paces. :)

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
i am not sure if it was as nice before i tried changing the settings like you mentioned but the game looks damn nice now!

oh yeah, i cant seem to access the console, are you sure you can do it?
also would it be possible to show FPS whilst running the game? i have seen a couple of screenshots where someone has the FPS counter top right of the screen like in UT

thanks for the help!

Mucker

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2001
Console:

Hit the tilde key "~", the console will appear,
type "stat fps" (don't type the parentheses)
Hit the tilde key again to turn off the console,
the fps will now be displayed

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Mucker
Console:

Hit the tilde key "~", the console will appear,
type "stat fps" (don't type the parentheses)
Hit the tilde key again to turn off the console,
the fps will now be displayed

stat fps 1 = turns it on
stat fps 0 = turns it off

Right?

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
i dont get it, how come i cant get the console working?

there doesn't seem to be an option in the control settings or anywhere to assign a key for the console.
is there anywhere in the system ini file where i could set it manually to show FPS?

also there is an option in the system ini that allows Xbox FSAA, i haven't tried it yet but was worth a mention, cant remember where it was, might take a look later.

i dont suppose you think think this is like a version designed for the Xbox do you? there seems to be a lot of mention of Xbox in some of the settings.
maybe that's why the textures aren't as good as they are apparently supposed to be when the game is released do you think?

also is there any truth in the texturs being a lot better in the full retail game? also will it only affect high res modes or will it make res's like 1024x768 which is the highest i can go on my LCD monitor any better?

is it like UT's add on disc that came with the GOTY edition?

Mk1980

May 20, 2002
Thankie , now those textures looks much more better, but original Ut2003 will have 2times better then these setted to ultra high??? because in readme.txt of demo is mentioned, that because of download size of demo textures have 2times lower resolution and, that mean they in original game will take 4times more amount of memory on card like now.
Or now I could see with textures setted to UltraHigh maximal quality from engine of Ut2003??? also original?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
funny i dont notice a differnce between the highist settings in the menu and when i edit the config like oldfart recomended. i would assue that my eye just arnt up to spoting the extra detail except that they textures do still look kinda fuzzy and low resolution. my best guess is that turning the settings up doesnt realy help becuase, Mk1980 mentioned, the texture resolution in the demo was scaled down to conserve file size.