UT Na Pali SP mod D3D Vs OpenGL w/S3TC

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
There is a single player mod out for UT called Operation Na Pali. You can get it HERE I was pleased to see that OpenGL with the high res S3TC textures work in this game as they do in normal UT. It looks great and is much faster than D3D to boot. As a review, to get this to work, you need:

UT Version 4.36
A card that supports it. GeforceX and Radeons work well
High res textures from UT CD #2 installed
The updated OpenGL renderer
You need to tweak your UnrealTournament.ini file. Mine looks like this:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=100
VolumetricLighting=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=0
Use4444Textures=False
HighDetailActors=True
GammaOffset=0.000000
UseMultiTexture=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
MaxLogTextureSize=0
MinLogTextureSize=0
DetailTextures=True
ShinySurfaces=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=False
LODBias=0.000000
ShareLists=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UsePalette=True
Translucency=1
MaxLogVOverU=0
MaxLogUOverV=0
Coronas=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
MaxTMUnits=0
Description=
DescFlags=0

Still tweaking that config, but it is pretty close.

I took a quick shot to show the difference between D3D and OpenGL. Take a look HERE to see them.. I'll add a few more shots later

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
wow nice work! (i dont play UT anymore)

dont get me wrong, but sometimes the washed out look is more realistic ;)
(something about halfway between your 2 shots)

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
I might have brightened them up too much. When you take a screenshot, they come out VERY dark. I have to increase brightness and contrast quite a bit to get them back. I think I went too far on the OpenGL one. The speed difference is considerable. I'll put the framerate counter in some new shots later.

Louis0A

Mar 15, 2002
UseVertexSpecular=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
AlwaysMipmap=True

I currently have those set false, please enlight me on what they do.

HaloEighty8

Platinum Member
Dec 14, 1999
Thanks, I just recently got back into this as well.. nice to play this with a ti4600.. :) btw, do you happen to know how to enable opengl in unreal 1? I just got totally unreal.. with unreal gold and I cant' get it to work in opengl. Thanks.,

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Thanks for the link Oldfart. How is the single player experience? Is it a proper story with a goal is it just a collection of single player maps?

/Now to think about how I'm going to download 158 MB. :(

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Thanks, I just recently got back into this as well.. nice to play this with a ti4600.. btw, do you happen to know how to enable opengl in unreal 1? I just got totally unreal.. with unreal gold and I cant' get it to work in opengl. Thanks.,

Halo,
I found this site where a guy has tweaked and editied the orginal unreal's OpenGL drivers, i havent gotten a chance to try them yet (im still looking for my unreal CD) but they suposedly work well.

LINKY!

LMK how they work!

CrackRabbit

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
The gameplay is very much like Unreal1. Maybe too much. Same enemies. Voice acting is pretty bad. Those who like Unreal will like it. You can use the Unreal or UT weapons. There is also a coop game. It is pretty well done for the most part with some very nice looking maps. I still think the Unreal engine has some of the best graphics even to this day.

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
Edited the config a bit. This should be a "Max IQ" config. I'm not exactly sure what each parameter does, but this is what I came up with seaching around the web.