Ustream/twitch/pc-game-streaming - do you do it?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Just wondering. Finally, I have a CPU that is capable of such a feat (i7-4770). Similarly, my internet connection should do it fine. (50-60mbit down/5-10mbit up)

What's been your experience and what do you use? I'm currently using XSplit, but is OBS better?

My channel that I probably won't have much time to play on: http://www.twitch.tv/tridentboy

In reality, probably won't have the time to do much streaming. (Not like anyone wants to watch me anyway. :awe: )

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
OBS is better if you're using the free XSplit version, and overall, I liked it more than the paid XSplit. Twitch is pretty much the best as well.

Streaming itself is hard to get into if you don't have a ton of time to do it. You can't stream like 3-4 hours a day and expect a following. And even if you get a following, the money is crap. Adblock destroys 90% of ad revenue and if you get partner, subscribers don't come as often as you'd hope. Plus, if you're playing a game that might broadcast important team information, like Dota, you can get 'ghosted'. Enemies can watch your stream and kill your wards and such. You can use a delay to combat that, but that really sucks because viewer interaction is how you build your following.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I think the way to get a following is either by being a big name player OR by playing the newest games when they come out.

I got over 80,000 youtube views on one of my videos because I showed how to get an achievement in the original Portal. I was the first one to post it. So, I got all the views when people searched on youtube on how to do it.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Your stream looked pretty nice even while playing a fps. I'd love to stream myself but I'm pretty limited with my less than 2mb upload.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Your stream looked pretty nice even while playing a fps. I'd love to stream myself but I'm pretty limited with my less than 2mb upload.

I'm trying to keep the stream bandwidth below 2200 so I have a lot of breathing room. I'm thinking of upping to 3000 and seeing how that improves quality. EDIT: Just did it. I can't really tell the difference on my computer. o_O

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
i stream on occasion. started to stream many years ago when minecraft came out. don't keep up with the stream a lot these days, but when i do it's either some Wii U via my gamecapture or indie titles on steam.

i use OBS when i'm streaming now. i used to use xsplit, but i definitely find OBS to be better (and free-er)

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
OBS is better than Xsplit in my experience. More stable and free! Streaming FPS is the most intensive type of game to deliver a good stream from.

Most FPS streamers go for 720p/60fps because 1080p/60fps is a tough one to pull off. Most of us have the upload bandwidth for it, but you need a powerful CPU to pull of even 720/60 never mind 1080/60 and maintain a good quality level.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
OBS is better than Xsplit in my experience. More stable and free! Streaming FPS is the most intensive type of game to deliver a good stream from.

Most FPS streamers go for 720p/60fps because 1080p/60fps is a tough one to pull off. Most of us have the upload bandwidth for it, but you need a powerful CPU to pull of even 720/60 never mind 1080/60 and maintain a good quality level.

I've considered 720p/60 but I wasn't sure of how taxing it would be on my system. Guess I should try and find out. :p

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I think lots of gamers consider it at some point. But the performance hit on the person playing kinda turns off lots of people. I might start doing it for indie games that don't require the latest and greats tech. But for FPS and AAA games no chance on my internet connection. Don't get into it for money and it could be fun :D