USPS Insurance question

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Situation: Friend of mine bought something on eBay and didn't pay the $5 for insurance on a $70 item. Item has not arrived, seller says he shipped it and won't refund my friend's money, and won't provide proof that he shipped it (no reciept from post office or anything).

If my friend had paid for the insurance, who's responsibility would it be to make the insurance claim, the buyer or the seller?

My friend is trying to get the guy to at least refund half his money since the seller can't even prove he shipped the item. I know if I was the seller, and someone said they didn't get something I shipped them and they didn't pay for insurance I'd be pretty suspicious too and wouldn't feel like I should refund any of the buyer's money cause for all I know they could have gotten it and claimed they didn't.

What do ya think of my friend's situation?

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
How did your friend pay for the item?

The USPS insurance is awful, always has been. Normally it is better to forego insurance on an item from the seller and self-insure the item through a third party such as DSI Insurance. Costs less that way, and the turn around time on a loss is very reasonable.

If the seller, in any way, feels that the buyer is ripping them off by saying they did not receive something, then it is the sellers own fault for not utilizing some sort of tracking...

The seller should *always* opt for some sort of delivery confirmation, and if they use the USPS Shipping Assistant, DC on Priority is free and First Class is about 1/2 price.

I would say that both parties are at fault; when selling you should always have a method of tracking an item, and when buying from an unknown you should always have some sort of insurance.

The seller should be able to produce some sort of receipt from the PO showing that the item was mailed.

eBay used to offer a partial buyer's protection, but may not any more... eBay Protection

Hope your friend manages to settle this matter.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
He paid with a money order... so PayPal's protection isn't a possibility.

But just for the sake of argument, if an item is lost or damaged, and it is insured by the USPS, who's responsibility is it to file the claim, the buyer or the seller?

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
Either/Or can file the claim...

The responsibility normally lies with the seller, but either party can contact the Postal Service.

Normally, the seller fills out the paperwork, gives it to their PostMaster, the PostMaster mails it to the receiving post office, the buyer then brings the item (in original packaging) to the post office and the paperwork is completed... The item and packaging is then surrendered to the PostMaster.

30 days to 6 months later, a check arrives unless the item is under $50, then it only takes a day or two...

By the way, the eBay link I posted above does have information on eBay Buyer Protection...

The eBay standard purchase protection program provides partial reimbursement for losses resulting from non-delivery or misrepresentation of most items up to $200 (minus $25 processing cost).

Worst case, your friend would be out $25, rather than $70

Updated Linkie

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
USPS Insurance requires 30 day wait before filing.
Then 60 days for investigation & payment