Using rubbing alcohol in your ears?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
There have been quite a few threads about this recently. I'll say the same thing I always do. :p

To clear your ears out, go to the drug store or walmart and get an ear syringe and some drops. They sell them in a kit for $5-8 depending on brand. Follow the instructions of the drops (peroxide based solution) to soften the wax. Then grab a cup and fill it with warm water. (be careful not to get the water too hot) Use the ball syringe and to flush your ears out. If you believe you have compacted wax, you may have to use extreme force to free the wax from your ears.

I've actually had rather large chunks break free because my right ear overproduces wax a few days after I go diving more than 10 meters. When I clear my ears out (I do this about once a year), it sometimes causes my throat to burn (sensation from the severe water pressure and nerves not knowing how to react) and when the wax becomes dislodged, it causes my equilibrium to make me dizzy for a few minutes.

I would guess the burning sensation is the result of the peroxide draining into your troat

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
wut..i've always done this to my ears. After I dig out using one of those asian tiny-spoon earwax removers, i'd dig in w/ a qtip w/ rubbing alcohol. I do it to my belly button, my crotch area (took awhile to get used to it, first couple of times, the burn was incapacitating, especially when I got a cut in my anal area, I had to disinfect that area since i didn't want that bacteria-filled area to invade the cut. Oh man, the anal area is ULTIMATE burn. First time i rubbed it w/ rubbing alcohol, I couldn't walk for about 2 minutes w/ tears coming out of my eyes. Now I feel refreshed after i do it).

umm...

TMI!!!!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There have been quite a few threads about this recently. I'll say the same thing I always do. :p

To clear your ears out, go to the drug store or walmart and get an ear syringe and some drops. They sell them in a kit for $5-8 depending on brand. Follow the instructions of the drops (peroxide based solution) to soften the wax. Then grab a cup and fill it with warm water. (be careful not to get the water too hot) Use the ball syringe and to flush your ears out. If you believe you have compacted wax, you may have to use extreme force to free the wax from your ears.

I've actually had rather large chunks break free because my right ear overproduces wax a few days after I go diving more than 10 meters. When I clear my ears out (I do this about once a year), it sometimes causes my throat to burn (sensation from the severe water pressure and nerves not knowing how to react) and when the wax becomes dislodged, it causes my equilibrium to make me dizzy for a few minutes.
Wow, lol...

If I experienced that, without knowing what was going on, I'd probably think I blew my eardrum or something. lol..
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
wut..i've always done this to my ears. After I dig out using one of those asian tiny-spoon earwax removers, i'd dig in w/ a qtip w/ rubbing alcohol. I do it to my belly button, my crotch area (took awhile to get used to it, first couple of times, the burn was incapacitating, especially when I got a cut in my anal area, I had to disinfect that area since i didn't want that bacteria-filled area to invade the cut. Oh man, the anal area is ULTIMATE burn. First time i rubbed it w/ rubbing alcohol, I couldn't walk for about 2 minutes w/ tears coming out of my eyes. Now I feel refreshed after i do it).
I think I just died.

Twice.

:laugh:

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Not once in my life have I ever cleaned the inside of my ears. Ive never even used a Q-tip.

I always inspect though to make sure im not getting any visible wax, and ive never seen any. I guess I just dont get anywhere near as much wax as most other people...

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003

Yes, an ear syringe is what you need.

Alcohol should not hurt your ears. I used it college all of the time to prevent swimmer's ear.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Tizyler
I'm starting to wonder if my left ear may have some serious wax build up.

When I use Q-Tips after a shower, the left one definitely feels different, almost like it "can't get in" if that makes any sense... I guess wax could be blocking?

If there was wax buildup in my ear, could that in any way affect how my ears/head reacts with pressure changes? When I go on an airplane I have a VERY difficult time popping my left ear during ascension.

Yea, clean your ears out with an ear syringe and warm water. You may be surprised at what comes out of there.