Question Using Gaming PC in Living Room via HDMI+USB Extensions?

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
I'm doing home renovations and the inside of all walls and ceilings between my home office (main floor) and new TV room (basement) is accessible. I was thinking about running an HDMI cable and a USB extension cable from my gaming PC to my receiver/TV downstairs. Is this a crazy idea or does it actually make sense? I am hoping to be able to use my gaming PC on the TV downstairs, using a USB hub to plug in a couple of controllers, a wireless keyboard and a mouse.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have this type of setup, but the PC is near the TV and only the mouse/KB are far away. USB can do at least 20' with a remotely powered hub, while HDMI (especially 2.1) needs a fiber cable or active repeaters beyond a point.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Specifics, specifics, specifics... What distance, what HDMI standard is acceptable (what resolution and refresh rate is the max you want to achieve)? Passive HDMI2.0 can go 20-30 feet, with a good quality cable, or 2.1, 10ft (or less, again cable quality matters), or with a more expensive active cable you can more than double that.

USB has a similar situation, good cabling will get you at least 15ft USB2 with a passive cable, closer to 30ft with an active repeater cable, or closer to half that with an active repeater USB3 cable. You'll probably also want a powered hub in the TV room rather than passive.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ The linked product won't do more than 1080p @ 60Hz. Maybe that's enough, but setting something up today, I'd shoot for a minimum of 4K @ 60Hz 4:4:4, which needs a 17.82Gbps or higher connection.

Bobsy

Jan 5, 2010
I've decided not to run cables between the two rooms. Too many drawbacks and potential problems. I'll just have to decide where I want my gaming PC! Thank you to those who replied for enlightening me on cable limitations.