Using electrical tape at its rated temp

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I need to make some wiring harnesses at work for some testing in a hot room. They need to be bundled up every couple of feet with something so that aren't ridiculously a big mess of wire. Now for some I made already I used a couple inches of heatshrink every couple feet. It works fine and its rated to 135° C just its pretty time consuming to use the heatshrink. Zipties would be quickest and effective but every type we got is only rated to 85°. The hot room will be as hot as 105° C. The 3M electrical tape is rated for 105° C.

Ok to use?? Like do they give any leeway, or does it start melting at that temp?

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
usually the glue that binds the tape to the surface will melt at a lower temperature.. I would suggest trying it otu to see if it survives and still functions effectively

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't use electrical tape, it will make a huge mess. Use zip ties.

Get special ones if you have to.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I'd go with some fusion tape. Most hardware stores have it in the electrical section. It's rated for 500F and uses no glue. I'd think the glue in the electrical tape would get really soft at that temp.

nissan720

Dec 3, 2004
I would agree, buy the good nylon zip ties and go on with life. Electrical tape leaves a sticky nasty mess after it has been heated.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
What type of conductors are these; power or signal? If they are for carrying significant current, then they have to be derated for elevated temperatures. The tape's temperature rating is not for ambient; but for the heated conductor it is insulating (I^2*R).

Also, R increases with temperature.