Using an Vertex 96GB in a Macbook?

primocomando

Aug 15, 2010
Looking to you guys for some help/advice. Just purchased a Samsung 830 256GB for my PC. I have an older 96GB Vertex (with Indilinx controller). Is this worth putting in a late 2008 Macbook? Not sure with TRIM not in OSX how well this would work. (On Snow Leopard at the moment, would Lion be any better with SSD?) Will this drive do garbage collection on its own without TRIM?
I am look at getting a caddy for my superdrive, and using the SSD as my boot, and the 160GB drive for extra storage.

Any recommendations for the caddy? The OWC one is $65, found a number for around $20. My friend thought the OWC is worth the extra money because it cushions the HDD better.

Anyone with any experience and expertise on the merits of doing this upgrade? Your advice is appreciated.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
No.. but I've seen quite a few which were installed in MBP's in the past. Google about and you should see many relevant posts.

Here's a youtube vid too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6bRgdX6nkw

Just be damned sure to run the destructive flasher to get that drive wiped fresh and running on the latest 1.7 firmware before installing it.

primocomando

Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the advice on using the destructive flasher groberts101.

I have been googling, hard to find specific info.

abbcccus

Feb 10, 2012
I recently installed one of my older, slower SSDs in a friend's MacBook Pro (mid 2009 core 2 version). It was a 60 GB Kingston V100 and she's been completely blown away by how fast it is. Her four month old MacBook Pro with an i5 is notably slower than the older one in day to day operations from her reports.

There is a program to enable TRIM support in Lion and in Snow Leopard for all SSDs. It's called TRIM Enabler, and you can grab it here: http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

abbcccus

Feb 10, 2012
Great to hear it runs on Snow Leopard.

I'll say! Lion didn't exist when it came out in its original form. I have two of my Hackintoshes on Lion because SL was too big a pain to sort out all the issues. I'm not terribly fond of Lion, so I run SL on my main Hack. It screams with that Crucial M4 in it, though, I have to say, it doesn't feel any different from the Kingston V100. Good luck!