Question Using an old ATX case for an E-ATX motherboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
We've got an old all-aluminum (silver) ATX case that we pulled out of mothballs for a new PC build project. The problem is that our "Want List" seems to be pushing us toward an E-ATX form factor mobo. I've carefully measured the internals of our old case and, much to my surprise, the bigger E-ATX board will [physically] fit into the old case.

As ATX is as big as I've ever built, I'm wondering what the pitfalls of ATX vs E-ATX are? Put another way, nothing is ever as easy at it seems, so I'm wondering what the "hitch" is? Perhaps the mounting positions are totally different? Perhaps the rear panel "connection block" won't fit the rear of the case the same way with the bigger mobo?

Needless to say, I'm hoping that it's simply a matter of having the required physical room in the case...but something is telling me that it's not that easy.

Thank you for your time

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
I still have a few Lian Li cases around. Their age means they only used 80mm fans unless I tried modding something or water cooled running tubes out to a MO-RA3.
I believe that you're right, the fans in the bottom/front section of the case are relatively small. I'm fortunate to have come from a place where folks had to make the most out of what they had, so working with metal, including AL, is definitely a possibility. The fact that even the modern "ATX" motherboards have the same dimensions as the old MSI motherboard that presently resides in the case leads me to believe that it could be modified to accommodate bigger, more suitable fans. We're MacBook Pro people, so the raw AL look fits right in with what we've been using for more than a decade now.

EDIT: Another look at the photo (below) shows quite a bit of space available at the top-front section of the case. If one were to remove the old ASUS drives from the case, I assume that some mods to the 5.25" drive frames/holders might just provide some room for some nice big fans, aye?

MSI ATX Aluminum Tower PC .jpeg

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I believe a 120mm is about the size of three 5.25" drives. If I remember, the drive cage that holds the optical drives isn't removable. I'd have to try digging mine out, but I believe there was an 80mm in front of the hard drives on the bottom as well.

AntiHypocrite

Dec 20, 2015
I believe a 120mm is about the size of three 5.25" drives. If I remember, the drive cage that holds the optical drives isn't removable. I'd have to try digging mine out, but I believe there was an 80mm in front of the hard drives on the bottom as well.
Dlerious .... I was just reading this one again and I'm not sure what you mean by, "...about the size of three 5.25" drives." Would you mind elaborating on this for me?

Last edited: