Using a service for removing personal info from data collection sites.

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
Have you used a service to remove references to your personal information for "people search" sites,and others such as whitepages, spokeo, Intelius ,?

There are so many out there with your data, that doing a manual opt-out is such a challenge, the average human would be overwelmed with such an undertaking.

I've come across DeleteMe, has anyone here used them, or can recommend another personal data removal service?

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
Yes, I know that such references to personal information could "re-spawn" at some point, but if the source of the sensitive info in question were squelched, then re-spawn would not be possible[hopefully].

Case-in-point: the source of my physical address could only have come from the local county tax assessor's database; I recently requested that they suppress my name, in connection with the listed property, using a confidentiality request form such as this one.

I don't indulge in social media, except for forums like this one; and I surely don't 'advertise' my real name, location or any other exploitable personal information.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
If you're talking about shielding info from non tech savvy man on the street. It's possible but, a waste of money. For anything else it simply isn't feasible.

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
Yes, pretty much shielding from a non tech savvy person, not trying to hide from the NSA or the ФСБ.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
While it might work for a few places, it won't work on the vast majority, since they don't really care, and it is "public information", so, there are no laws that will help you remove the info.

In other words, a huge waste of $$$ for very, very little gain.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Of you're worried about a specific individual, it's more efficient and certain to take direct action.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I found a giant list of all the scum websites that sell your Info. from Reddit. I went to each and every one and opted out. Then I did a search of my name and opted out (some were a PITA) of those too. Only to find a new site pop up with my damn voter Info. Since that's a matter of "public record" I'm SOL. So all my work was futile. Not to mention there's like a new website that pops up that sells your Info once a month it seems.

To make sure your Info is absolutely gone you have to request your records to be sealed by a judge. And at that you have to have a good damn reason. Like being a TV/radio personally, etc. I bet you couldn't find where a judge lives...

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Prison inmates.
If it is a specific person, you can either tell the prison they are harassing you, or you can try a name change (though, this is still public record), or change phone #'s / move.

If it is a gang, you got more options depending on a few things, but, it is better to seek legal advice if this is the case.

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
Well I'm glad I posted and got all your responses, I've got a better perspective on the matter now, no need then to use any clean-up service.

There is no specific elevated threat, at this time, I just wanted to reduce any potential as a target. I carry, practice security awareness at home and in public. I'll just keep doing-what-I-do. ;)

Thanks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is this just general, ex: you work at a prison, or is this a specific person/group?

If the cat is already out of the bag ex: the info is already out there, best bet is to move and change phone numbers etc. If you do work at the jail, consider carpooling or otherwise not parking your vehicle there. (license plate info may be visible from various locations).

I don't think any of those services for removal of personal info would really go all that far some may even just sell your info as they now know the info is correct. Kinda like how you never want to hit the unsubscribe link on spam.

Once you moved and such then be very careful from now on. Don't use your real name, address or phone number to sign up for anything. Get a PO box for online orders etc. Companies now days sell your info to each other, it's ridiculous. Avoid stuff like Air Miles etc too, maybe I'm just paranoid but I feel all these loyalty programs probably have a catch, such as them selling your info. Basically you want to just stay as low profile as you can when it comes to handing out personal info to companies. At some point it will end up online again.

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
Yeah, I work at a prison, and like I mentioned, I don't have an issue with anyone right now, but I know that inmates have alot of associates on the street, and are always looking for a way to scam someone. I do as much business as possible, without using my physical address. Some online merchants won't ship to a P.O. box, but there are plenty that don't have a problem with that. I live out in the country, so the post office is my main choice for mail. The alternative is delivery to a box down on the main highway; they get 'robbed' alot around the time of the month for when gov't checks coming.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's probably not too too bad then. Is your last name even visible anywhere at work, like is your full name on your badge or just first name? Seems it would be a security issue if they actually show worker's last names too. If anything it should just be an ID number. I worked in a hospital and even there they only put your first name and they said it was for security. Guess you never know if you get an irate patient or something that wants to track you down later.

Post office is probably best bet for stuff to be delivered. Do they require ID to pick it up? If not I wonder if that is something you can setup with them.

Have you done some searches on yourself to see if your info is actually out there? Suppose that is the first step. I sometimes like to do it myself for fun and surprisingly mine is not. Like my name shows up with some info but not really enough compromising info. When I originally setup my phone account I also made sure my address is unlisted. I was fine with my phone number being listed as someone might have a legit reason to want to call me, but I didn't want my address there.

As a side note it may also be worth getting an alarm system if you don't have one, far in the country it may not exactly work that well but it may still provide a piece of mind and it may even be a deterrent if someone did manage to find you out. Cameras etc are not a bad idea either. Basically all stuff that can give you piece of mind.

hrsetrdr

Apr 13, 2002
That's probably not too too bad then. Is your last name even visible anywhere at work, like is your full name on your badge or just first name? Seems it would be a security issue if they actually show worker's last names too. If anything it should just be an ID number. I worked in a hospital and even there they only put your first name and they said it was for security. Guess you never know if you get an irate patient or something that wants to track you down later.

Post office is probably best bet for stuff to be delivered. Do they require ID to pick it up? If not I wonder if that is something you can setup with them.

Have you done some searches on yourself to see if your info is actually out there? Suppose that is the first step. I sometimes like to do it myself for fun and surprisingly mine is not. Like my name shows up with some info but not really enough compromising info. When I originally setup my phone account I also made sure my address is unlisted. I was fine with my phone number being listed as someone might have a legit reason to want to call me, but I didn't want my address there.

As a side note it may also be worth getting an alarm system if you don't have one, far in the country it may not exactly work that well but it may still provide a piece of mind and it may even be a deterrent if someone did manage to find you out. Cameras etc are not a bad idea either. Basically all stuff that can give you piece of mind.

Unfortunately, employee's first+last names are not hard for inmates to discover. The first time I took my [inmate] workers to the warehouse to get replacement work gloves, I knew my identity would become "public", as I had to sign my full name(and PRINT) on the requisition form. ...and, hand the clipboard back to the warehouse inmate doing the transaction; he and my workers know each other, and are 'affiliated'.

I have done searches online, and searching my name+town displays my physical address right away, no need to go to the website involved.

I don't have an alarm system, but in the past have always installed systems. They don't have to be monitored to be effective. If they are loud and attract attention, the average burglar will beat it out of there.

Big dogs are a plus, my neighbor across the road retired from the same employer, he used to have two BIG male rottweilers in the yard. They were the ultimate in security, nobody wants to get chewed up by an aggressive animal.

...maybe an inexpensive wireless alarm system, my Ruger .357 and a couple Rotties would serve up some peace of mind.

;-)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Your best bet is to unplug your internet connection and never use the internet ever again!!!