Using a Radeon and GeForce card in same rig?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oops. Wanted in VC&G forum. Maybe mod will move it.

I know DX12 can support mixed vendor if game is coded for it.

I found this video that shows what I'm guessing you would call switchable graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_f_lIF3A7Q

Has anybody tried this?
If so does each card function fully....as in no I'll effects from other card in system?
Would monitor input work to switch between cards?

Seems interesting and would somewhat defeat brand favoritism in games.

I'd try it but I currently don't have one of each.

Would windows 10 update fubar the setup?

If a person wanted such a rig and above doesn't work correctly would dual boot work?

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Hmm, you could always use any two or more gpus from any vendor in 2D mode. You just can't use them together in 3D mode, ie. in a game like for ex. use the Nv card for physx because it's disabled by Nv.

DX12 brings with it both multi gpu and multi adapter. Both allow mixing of different gpu vendors and gpu + igpu. It's goood stuff. You can see it in action with reviews on Ashes.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Hmm, you could always use any two or more gpus from any vendor in 2D mode. You just can't use them together in 3D mode, ie. in a game like for ex. use the Nv card for physx because it's disabled by Nv.

Up unto a certain version of PhysX you can use a hybrid setup. I enjoyed PhysX in a bunch of titles using my Radeon as the primary GPU.

Of course, the author of the mod gave up after NV kept tossing roadblocks.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wasn't really thinking hybrid physx thing.

The option to use one or the other depending on which vendor the game favors is what I was looking at.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

The option to use one or the other depending on which vendor the game favors is what I was looking at.

Oh, I contemplated that just for kicks and giggles.

I would assume, though, you'd have to change the input of the monitor, which shouldn't be too hard with a modern monitor.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Yea, it should work. I had a 290x and a gtx 750 for Cuda development. One monitor attached to each. If I switched the main display games would render on the gtx 750.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010

We've always been able to do that. If either side prevented that, it would probably be illegal in some way. As mentioned, you just switch to the monitor plug, etc.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Using a Radeon and GeForce card in same rig? Like divide the Universe with zero? Damn, the threat is real these days..

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Using a Radeon and GeForce card in same rig? Like divide the Universe with zero? Damn, the threat is real these days..

:D

78165-635x342.png

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-launching-dual-gpu-flagship-graphics/