Question Using a Nintendo Pro controller for PC games

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I've thought about buying a Xbone controller because they work with Windows 10 right out of the box, or even an 8bitdo adapter specially made for modern Nintendo controllers. Though if I could game on a Switch pro controller without spending more money it would be ideal. I seemed to be able to get the Pro Controller to sync via bluetooth, and I even downloaded a wrapper called WiiUpro. But after mapping the buttons, even though it shows an image of the controller registering all of my button presses just fine, I find that when I try to actually game with it that only the left analog stick and some of the face buttons work. Does anyone have experience with using a Nintendo Pro Controller for PC gaming? What software wrapper do you use?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
In my case I'm using a 'knock-off', unofficial Wii U Pro controller I bought on eBay (and it wasn't a mistake, the price was more than convincing). It ended up working like a charm and it has a pretty solid, reliable build quality despite its unofficial and cheaper nature (was about $20 when I bought it, took about 3 weeks to get it though since it shipped from China). To make it work for PC games I had to buy a separate Wireless Wii U Controller Adapter, it's a pretty small device that plugs on a USB port:

https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Wii-Pro-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00E6553PW

You then have to 'Sync' it (press of a button on the device + press of the sync button on the controller itself) with the device, and choose your Input method on the device itself with a little switch; you can choose to go D-Input, or X-Input. So far, I've been able to use it in pretty much all the games I've tried it on that supports controllers. In some cases, using X-Input maps the buttons properly right away without the need to manually adjust buttons at all (only in some cases though, usually I do have to manually map a few buttons and/or the joysticks directions or the d-pad, etc).

I'm pretty sure it'd work the same exact way with an official Nintendo-made Wii U Pro controller (which I do plan to get eventually but the prices are exorbitantly high due to rarity). However, I don't know if that's the case with Switch Pro controllers (it should though? I would think, but don't quote me on that one).

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yeah but that's $32 US. I could get this for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...qid=1548112867&sr=8-4&keywords=8bitdo+adapter

But that's not what I'm trying to do. I have already been able to Sync my Switch Pro on Windows 10 via bluetooth, and the wrapper even goes so far to show as registering all my button inputs when I press them. It just doesn't pan out that way in game. I hadn't tried syncing my Wii U Pro controller. It's a passable controller, but feels too glossy plastic to me compared to the Switch version.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
stick with the xbone controller.... trust me.
Emulators of some sort, will sometimes black flag punkbuster and other anticheats, even tho you are not using it.
Nexon Game Security had issues with the one for PS controllers a while back.

There are times when i wished i could use my PS4 controllers, but then emulators sometimes have issues of compatibility right out of the box.

Xbone controllers on the other hand, seems like most games have native code for them, because most PC games now are trashyconsole ports hence you get it working without any headaches right out of the box.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I would consider one as a last resort, but when they expect $20 for a battery pack and $40 on sale for the controller itself, $60+ is a lot of money for controllers notorious for having poor longevity and durability.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm still using the X360 controller I bought seven years ago, for games that don't support it natively, X360ce has done the job.
Not sure which games you're playing, but X360ce still might work for you, I also used it to get my Logitech Rumblepad going so the partner and I could play co-op on PC. Worth a shot.
Depending on the game, Joy2Key might also be an option.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I would consider one as a last resort, but when they expect $20 for a battery pack and $40 on sale for the controller itself, $60+ is a lot of money for controllers notorious for having poor longevity and durability.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-White-one/dp/B01GW3H3U8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548219776&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+controller&th=1

47 dollars... takes 2 AA batteries, you can use rechargeable, or you can direct connect to via usb built onto the controller.

IF you want wireless, you will need a bluetooth capable network card.

'm still using the X360 controller

The xbone controller is so much better then a 360, even tho it looks the same. lol.
I used to use a 360 as well, with a dongle, and then i stole borrowed my brother's controller. Of course he wanted it back so i bought a new one for myself.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-White-one/dp/B01GW3H3U8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548219776&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+controller&th=1

47 dollars... takes 2 AA batteries, you can use rechargeable, or you can direct connect to via usb built onto the controller.

IF you want wireless, you will need a bluetooth capable network card.

The xbone controller is so much better then a 360, even tho it looks the same. lol.
I used to use a 360 as well, with a dongle, and then i stole borrowed my brother's controller. Of course he wanted it back so i bought a new one for myself.
I guess some people care more or are more sensitive than others, I heard various debates about whether the PS3 controller was better than the X360 or vice versa, I used both extensively and don't have a preference, they're both 100% fine by me. But mine has definitely held up, and she specified concerns about longevity/durability on the Xbone controller.
I've used the Switch Pro controller for hundreds of hours now, people gush about that one, and yeah, it's nice, but not significantly different to me.