Using a Limited account in XP full time, but prompt for install

Intelman07

Jul 18, 2002
I want to use a limited user account on XP full time, just to be safest. But I wonder if there is a setting in windows XP to automatically prompt for a admin user and pass, such as in linux, when installing things.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
It probably already will, just as a default behavior. Try installing WinZip or something while on your Limited account, it should go "oh, a Setup" and say "hey, who do you want to run this as?".

I also picked up a handy tip from someone here that works with WinXP Professional... you can right-click in the Desktop (or wherever) and make a New Shortcut, find the name of that balky program that hates Limited accounts (QuickBooks comes to mind :roll: ), and make a shortcut to that.

Now right-click the shortcut and do this:

1) in the Start In: box, give a location where your Limited account is allowed into, like C:\Documents And Settings\accountname.

2) In the Target: line, add runas /user:nameofanAdminaccount /savecred in front of the rest of the string. It'll prompt for the password the first time (cannot be blank) and then it'll save it. This could be good if you have extra-st0opid software that won't run under Limited under any circumstance.

3) I also like to give the shortcut the program's icon, easily done :)

Before doing that, I'd try temporarily making the Limited account an Admin, running the problem proggie once, then reverting to Limited and see if it got it out of its system. Hope that helps :)

Intelman07

Jul 18, 2002
Hm, well it doesn't ask by default. On my laptop it does, but maybe the OEM (IBM) set that up? Otherwise on a normal desktop, all I get is access denied or "you must be logged in as an Administrator to run this program" or something.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
In that case, you might have to be the one to say "oh, a Setup" and do the right-click --> Run As... yourself :D