using a Gigabyte BIOS on an Abit Mobo how stupid is that?

Inspirer

Jul 11, 2002
hi All.

I have the Abit SA7 motherboard and Abit won't release a BIOS that supports HT.
on the other hand, Gigabyte has the GA-8ST800-L that has the same 645DX chipset but supports HT!!

If the 645DX on my SA7 is B-Step then it could technically support HT.

what happens if I flash the SA7 w/ a GA-8ST800-L BIOS ?
does it have any chance of working ?
will I get HT (with the right CPU) ?

note, please don't disclaimer me to death, I realize that whatever I do is at my own risk and responsibility.
Thanks.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Probably won't work... but there was someone in the overclockers.com forums that had an Epox bios for his FIC... :confused:

Go try the abit forums... and see if someone can hex edit it for you.

fell8

Nov 12, 2001
Definately do it!!! It will also make your video card perform like a Radeon 9700!!! :evil:

billyjak

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get one of These
Experiment with it after you get a bios savior.
I had one on my KT7 Raid board
Bios Savior = Pease of mind.

wicktron

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2002
Originally posted by: boyRacer
but there was someone in the overclockers.com forums that had an Epox bios for his FIC... :confused:

That's because the EPoX 8RDA+ and the FIC equivalent are the EXACT SAME BOARD.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
There are many known successful instances of using a BIOS not released or intended for a motherboard. There are also many known unsuccessful instances (dead board). The only way to find out for sure is to try it.

Provided that the motherboards are extremely similar in their chipsets, clock generators, and other components, there is a fair chance it will work. Not a good chance, but a fair one.

Generally, if it wasn't meant to be, the worse it will do is kill your BIOS chip. There is the risk it can kill your board, however, and a new BIOS chip won't revive it.