Using a Cold Cutting Board to Keep My Macbook Cool

CyberCharon

May 19, 2016
I've had my Macbook for ages (I think it's turning 8-years-old this year) and I still get a lot of daily use out of it. However, it tends to heat up pretty quickly (and furiously) so I've been sticking a dry plastic cutting board in my freezer for a bit, then placing the Macbook on top of it while I work to reduce the heat. I have 2 cutting boards in rotation, I know it sounds silly and that it's probably not the most obvious way to fight overheating but it seems to be working for me. Is there any major potential issue with this that I'm not seeing?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
As cold things heat up, moisture condenses on the surface. Moisture+electronics=bad.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Buy a ThinkPad. :)

That's thread crapping.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberCharon

May 19, 2016
Thanks everyone! I didn't realize that the laptop coolers were so affordable. I'll order one today. Thanks again for your advice!

HiroThreading

Apr 25, 2016
Buy a ThinkPad. :)

Really helpful advice.

OP, open your MacBook and give it a good clean with a can of compressed air. You've most likely got a lot of dust built up around the fan/heatsinks.

If you're reluctant to do it yourself, take it to an Apple Store and get them to do it for you.

CyberCharon

May 19, 2016
I think I can handle the dusting. I'll pick up some canned air at the office today. Thanks for your help!