Using 4 monitors. How can I go up to 5 or 6 monitors?

luger

Mar 26, 2013
Running a Dell XPS 8700 with Intel integrated graphics and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 video card.

Have 2 monitors on the onboard graphics (HDMI and DisplayPort), and 2 monitors on the video card (HDMI and DVI; DisplayPort port empty). The video card will only drive 2 monitors simultaneously, and onboard graphics has only 2 ports, so that's full, so I'm tapped out at 4 monitors with this setup.

The motherboard has one PCI-Express x16 slot and three PCI-Express x1 slots.

While this setup works great, I'd love to be able to add a 5th monitor, maybe even a 6th. How can I do so for relatively low cost?

This is not for gaming, so high end equipment isn't necessary (and is out of my budget). I just like having multiple screens.

Last edited:

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Another option is to use a DisplayLink USB adapter.
I use an eVGA UVPlus+ at work to drive a total of 5 monitors from a Thinkpad T540p.
Works great, no lag or compression artifacts even with 1080p video when run off of USB3.

Last edited:
Reactions: luger

luger

Mar 26, 2013
Turns out the Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 will drive 3 monitors, not just 2. So between the Nvidia card and onboard graphics adapter, I can drive 5 monitors. If I want to go to 6 or more, I'll have to start looking into some of the other suggestions.

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013

luger

Mar 26, 2013
Turns out the Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 will drive 3 monitors, not just 2. So between the Nvidia card and onboard graphics adapter, I can drive 5 monitors. If I want to go to 6 or more, I'll have to start looking into some of the other suggestions.

Just to follow up on this. So I've got 5 monitors running, with 2 on onboard graphics and 3 on the nvidia video card. I borrowed a DisplayLink USB adapter from a friend and was able to add a 6th monitor.

Pretty cool. And a bit cheaper than the DisplayPort splitter linked above. And a lot cheaper than a workstation video card. But good to know there are so many options. I went from thinking that I was limited to 4 monitors to realizing that I am not limited by the hardware or technology, and that my limiting factors are budget and real estate for monitors.

Reactions: WhoBeDaPlaya

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
74321970.jpg

Reactions: luger