Users with HD6950/GTX570 chime in!

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
So basically, I want to know two things from users who use HD6950 or a GTX570 with dual monitors.

Firstly, how is the noise of the card in both idle and load? Although I can refer to the reviews, I just want to know the user's impressions with regards to noise.

Secondly, how is the idle/load temps for the card?

Im seriously considering getting either card since prices are relatively close and yeah, trigger finger is feeling the itch. (Tide me over til the next gen)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
While I do not run dual monitors, I will provide some feedback.

Unless you run specific applications (Folding @ home, Milkyway @ home) or games that you know benefit a lot from one architecture (F1 2010, Crysis, DA2 for 6950 or Lost Planet 2, Crysis 2, Hawx 2, Civ5 for 570), then unless you can upgrade for very cheap, I'd likely stick with your 470 @ 800mhz until 28nm GPUs.

My overclocked 6950 is FAR quieter at 99-100% load than 470 was at stock speeds.

Idle temps
My stock 6950 idles at 29-30*C, while my 470 idled at 38*C at 40% fan speed and at 41*C at 32-33% fan speed. At 32-33% fan speed, the 470 was extremely quiet. So outside of cooler temperatures, the idle noise on the 470 @ 32% fan speed is just as good.

Load temps
In Crysis 1, at stock speeds my 6950 reached 66*C at only 31% fan speed!!!
In comparison, the 470 @ 760mhz reaches 74-75*C at 59% fan speed. So the temperatures are still acceptable on the reference 470, albeit higher noise levels.

6950 @ 860mhz at 1.1V at 99% load in Distributed Computing reaches 71-73*C at 42-43% fan speed. At 910mhz at 1.175V at 99% load in the same bench, it reaches 76*C at 45% fan speed. Under both of these scenarios, the card is still quieter than a stock EVGA 470 I had.

Crysis 1 1920x1080 4AA/16AF (Very High settings):

GTX470 @ stock speeds
crysisdemogtx4701920x10.png

GTX470 @ 760 mhz GPU / 1750 mhz memory
crysisdemogtx470760gpu1.png

HD6950 @ stock speeds
crysisdemohd69501920x10.png

470 is no slouch either. 470 @ 800mhz will be faster than the 6970 in Crysis 2.

Last edited:

insurgent

Dec 4, 2006
The Powercolor 6950 PCS ++ is factory unlocked with the core OCed to 6970 levels but using the stock 6950 memories. I have this card, I love it.

powercolor-6950-pcs-plus-plus_card.jpg

edit:
oh right, I don't hear it over my case fans at idle which are silent enough for me already as I use watercooling for the cpu... you can hear it at load but only barely, just the sound of wind moving and not the motor whining. Idles at the low 40s and load temps almost reach 70 for the core, I live in a tropical country and ambient is probably mid to high 20c

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
@Russian,

Thanks for your input. Your GTX470 is really cool. I mean literally! mine at those voltages would reach +90C at +80% fanspeed (custom). And keep in mind that its using the silverstone ft02 case. The current overclock I have is scorching even with the 3rd party cooler that I use (and loud if I wanna sustain under 85C). Guess half the blame can be had on the summer heat..

So instead of consuming lot of power (at the overclock I have, its consumes about ~100W more if memory serves me right) for providing such performance, the two alternatives seem like a nice replacement.

And for the case I use, blower type cooling will work best hence the two.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
@Russian,

Thanks for your input. Your GTX470 is really cool. I mean literally!

I know. This is why when everyone was saying how loud and hot their 470 was, I couldn't believe some users were getting 90-94*C at stock speeds at load.

I would say if you need a cooler running card or faster performance in specific games, you could sell the 470 while it still has value. Performance wise, it's not going to be much different since your 470 is already @ 800mhz. GTX570 will probably be faster when considering overclocking. But it costs quite a bit of $. So is it worth it to spend $100+ to upgrade to a 570 from an 800mhz 470? Not in my eyes.

Are you actually gaming on 2 monitors?

I think 28nm GPUs will bring a significant performance improvement.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
6950 shader unlocked and clocked to 6970 levels, running two different monitors.

With a fair bit of tinkering and forcing low clocks it idles at about 42 to 45C at 28% fan (so pretty quiet). I'm on my laptop at the moment and cant quite remember my loads. I think its about 80with 35% fan (still fairly quiet).

Its weird that we have to tinker to get decent 2d temps with 2 monitors, I dont see why the manufactures cant get that sorted at stock.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
I know. This is why when everyone was saying how loud and hot their 470 was, I couldn't believe some users were getting 90-94*C at stock speeds at load.

I would say if you need a cooler running card or faster performance in specific games, you could sell the 470 while it still has value. Performance wise, it's not going to be much different since your 470 is already @ 800mhz. GTX570 will probably be faster when considering overclocking. But it costs quite a bit of $. So is it worth it to spend $100+ to upgrade to a 570 from an 800mhz 470? Not in my eyes.

Are you actually gaming on 2 monitors?

I think 28nm GPUs will bring a significant performance improvement.

I dont game on two monitors since its basically for work (only use one), but the biggest concern is maintaining low temps/power consumption and noise. Games are second priority, although I wouldn't mind having a bit more GPU horsepower since running games at 8xAA and above at my res still does tax the GPU alot more than most people think.

Hrm, before my GTX470 depreciates alot more, Im thinking whether or not to grab the above mentioned cards. Even if the performance maybe a sidegrade, I just like tinkering with new cards.. quite bad for your wallet :D.

@Welsh, I know that nVIDIA recently released a feature (from 256 rel drivers and onwards) that if running the same res/refresh rate on the two monitors, the card can go into its power saving idle mode (hence I ditched the secondary card which was ridiculous to have it in there in the first place to fix this issue).

I dont know if AMD has a similiar feature, but have you tried the above? or did you have to setup a new 2d profile by tinkering via software or BIOs?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
before my GTX470 depreciates alot more, Im thinking whether or not to grab the above mentioned cards. Even if the performance maybe a sidegrade, I just like tinkering with new cards.. quite bad for your wallet :D.

Most 570s are still hovering in the $300 price range. What do you think you can get for your GTX470 realistically? $160-180? The GTX570 is not going to be much faster than a GTX470 @ 800mhz. Sure your 470 may lose value, but if you get a 570, given its $300 price, it has a lot more depreciation ahead of it compared to your 470.

In 8 months from now when 28nm GPUs ship, GTX570 will likely hit $200. Unless the games you play run too slow, you should keep the 470 (esp since you spent $ on an aftermarket cooler for it). Also since you have an EVGA 470, in case it fails from overheating, you are covered. :D

Honestly, outside of BF3, there is nothing that is really going to push a GTX470 @ 800mhz to its limits. It's not like you can play the more intensive games like Metro 2033 or STALKER: COP at 8AA 1920x1080 > 60 fps on any single GPU videocard anyway. The only reason I stepped up to the 6950 is because it was virtually free and the card runs much faster in F1 2010 and MilkyWay.

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
If you have an EVGA couldn't you just wait until 28nm hit and use the step up program?

Sorry if I'm incorrect, I've been red team for the last 7 years.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

@Welsh, I know that nVIDIA recently released a feature (from 256 rel drivers and onwards) that if running the same res/refresh rate on the two monitors, the card can go into its power saving idle mode (hence I ditched the secondary card which was ridiculous to have it in there in the first place to fix this issue).

I dont know if AMD has a similiar feature, but have you tried the above? or did you have to setup a new 2d profile by tinkering via software or BIOs?

Yeah, I think AMD does clock down if you have two monitors with the same ref rate. Unfortunately mine aren't.

I use Afterburner to automatically force low clocks and voltage in 2d and overclock it if a 3d app starts.

Its pretty slick the way it works which is why I'm surprised neither of the 2 main card makers does similar.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
The GTX570 with a stock cooler is quite loud. Well, I always keep the case open, so I don't know how it would sound with the side panel on, so I'm already thinking on some other solution.

Also: NVIDIA cards remain stuck in performance mode (higher energy consumption and constantly loud fans) when you keep multi-monitor display on.

Otherwise, performance wise, both cards are very nice IMHO.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I had an EVGA SC Nvidia GTX 470 then I stepped up to a Nvidia GTX 570... the GTX 570 runs noticeable more quiter and cooler! I no longer can use the GPU to blow dry my hair and warm up my room during cold winter months...

vivi2000

Apr 12, 2008
I have a sapphire 6950 1gb, the noise made by it is not noticeable over my other fans(it is very loud past 70% but it never gets there on auto fan). Gaming the temps never go past 60c and idle is around 30c. I bought this specifically because i did not want a reference card because the last one i bought ran hot and loud, this is just the opposite. I think they have a 2gb version out now too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-921-_-Product
I dont use 2 monitors to game, but sometimes i will use 1 for gaming and 1 for hd movies.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Have an XFX reference 6950, with the extra SP's unlocked but running stock 6950 clocks & voltages.

Firstly, how is the noise of the card in both idle and load? Although I can refer to the reviews, I just want to know the user's impressions with regards to noise.
Idle, pretty quiet. I can pick it out from the other fans in my case since it's running at a slightly different pitch, but if I don't concentrate I don't really notice it.

There isn't a very noticeable change in the noise until the temps get to the upper 80s C. The default fan profile is apparently setup to try hard to keep the card below 90C, so if you ever get it up to 91C+ the fan will really howl for a few seconds until it brings the temps back down.

Secondly, how is the idle/load temps for the card?
Depending on room temps, about 55-60C at idle. Load, most of the games I've been playing lately (Rift, Shogun 2, LOTRO) keep it in the low to mid 80s. More intensive games will push it up to the 88-90C range, but I don't think I've seen it go beyond 90C except when I was tinkering with OC'ing.

Edit:
Yeah, I think AMD does clock down if you have two monitors with the same ref rate. Unfortunately mine aren't.
I think you mean same resolution? Mine are the same refresh rate (mismatch res) and my card doesn't throttle down. Unless it's something the added to the 11.3 CCC.

Edit2: I've also tried afterburner for pushing the clocks down, but the issue I always have is that afterburner doesn't usually shift the clocks until the game is already loading... and at least on my card, if the memory clock changes while a program is active, things usually get borked.

Last edited: