Usenet Deal: $40 1.1TB block from NGD for today only

Discussion in 'Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests' started by gigahertz20, Jun 18, 2012.

1. gigahertz20

gigahertz20 Golden Member

http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

Details:
    http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2012/06/18/more-june-terabyte-tuesday-1-1-tb-of-usenet-for-40/

Been with NGD for awhile, good provider. They are a Highwinds reseller so best thing to do to limit incompletes is to get a backup/fill server. I paid $10 or so and got a small block from blocknews and then got a free backup from xsusenet as well. I haven't had any incompletes in a long time.

If you don't know what usenet is go to slickdeals.net and do a search for "usenet" and read some of the dozens of threads that are posted. People have posted all the information you will ever need.

BTW, this same deal is on SD, here is a link to that thread:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/4756026-NewsgroupDirect-Usenet-Sale-1-1-TB-for-40-Today-Only?

2. AlexAL

AlexAL Senior member

How does newsgroupdirect compare with astraweb?

Been considering getting 1T from astra for $50, and this is better. However, the offer seems to indicate just 1T, not 1.1T. Is the 10% added later? 7 hours to make up my mind.

3. AlexAL

AlexAL Senior member

Seems that the 10% is a free 10% header allowance, which brings it up to 1.1T. All I wonder now is how are their completion rates.

4. gigahertz20

Yeah, you get extra 100GB for header allowance so 1.1TB. I posted this in the SD thread that I linked to in my OP:

Astraweb is good, but every provider has content that is not complete or gets taken down fast. I remember reading that either Astraweb or Giganews (can't remember) takes down games really fast. I read alot of Comments on NZB's where people will say "Incomplete on Astraweb" so no provider is perfect.

Best thing to do IMHO is pay $40 to get the 1.1TB block from NGD then pay $10 or so to get a small block from blocknews as a backup fill server and then get a free backup from xsusenet as well. You will get less incompletes doing this then paying $50 for the 1TB block from Astraweb.

5. AlexAL

AlexAL Senior member

Good idea and seems to be often recommended. Buy the cheapest block and complement with a smaller block on a different backbone. Haven't ran into the problem since I rarely download, but I guess my soft (Newsbin 6) would handle it (semi-?) automatically.

6. bbhaag

bbhaag Diamond Member

I use torrents and IRC to grab my content. What are the benefits of switching over to usenet?
    Is it faster? I've heard about usenet but never really got into it. Is it worth it?

7. phats1313

phats1313 Junior Member

edit

#7 phats1313, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  8. phats1313

phats1313 Junior Member

It will max your internet connection out and it's alot safer then torrents. Just join a good nzb indexing site like nzbmatrix and you will be set.

9. phats1313

phats1313 Junior Member

As long as you have each server entered into Newsbin then it should I would think. I use Sabnzbd as my newsreader so not sure about Newsbin.

10. AlexAL

AlexAL Senior member

It's over now but seems they have a Terabyte Tuesday every month.

11. gigahertz20

Yeah, they run it often.