Usefulness of stock fan?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I've got an Media Center PC I built a year ago that works really well, but I've recently noticed that my fan is much more audible after I stop using it compared to when I start. My temps idle around 45-50C or so though I am wondering why they are so high considering I'm only using Media Center and nothing else. I'm using the stock fan. My question is will replacing it with something else make a big difference in temps and fan noise?

Here are the specs of my PC:
Intel Core i7 2600K (stock speeds)
MSI P67-GD80
Radeon hd 6950
8GB RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
3x2TB hard drives
Lian Li PC-C60B case

Thanks.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
If you haven't blown the air out of the CPU heatsink using some compressed air, I'd do that first. Stock fans aren't particularly terrible, especially on stock Sandy Bridge CPUs.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The stock cooler is fine for regular use but as a HTPC, users tend to be more sensitive towards noises. Getting any aftermarket heatsink that fits the height limit and have a bigger fan that would have to spin less to displace the same or more air would result in a quieter setup. Something like a cheap CM Hyper TX3 or any downdraft heatsink should work.

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
The stock intel HSF's are actually fairly good noise wise if you aren't pushing it.

Make sure you have your fan speed set for quiet or silent in your BIOS first.

I use one in an HTPC and during media playback it can't be heard from across the room.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Well, I added a fan right on top of the CPU as part of the case and noticing a bit cooler temps. The overall air flow before was terrible but it should be better now. I did briefly turn on auto-overclocking on my motherboard (MSI P67-GD80) and it hit 4.2Ghz @ 87C so that does make me a bit worried. Is that a fluke?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
You shouldn't even consider overclocking your CPU with the stock heatsink unless your ambient temps are cold. 87C is quite high, aim for lower temps.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
You shouldn't even consider overclocking your CPU with the stock heatsink unless your ambient temps are cold. 87C is quite high, aim for lower temps.

Hmm, Texas is not cold. But this is mainly an HTPC which I play the occasional PC game on, so I won't really bother.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I personally would never get a 200-300 dollar cpu and use the stock HSF esp. your cpu is designed for OC. At a minimum get a Hyper 212+. pretty cheap for what it can do for you.

abbcccus

Feb 10, 2012
How do you have the fans setup in your case? That case looks like it could be the main problem as its airflow is likely going to be a little wonky no matter what you do. According to LL, the two fans that come installed are used to input cool air, but nothing is dedicated to exhausting the warm air inside the case. You added a fan to the vent directly over the cpu, swell, but is it blowing cool air in or is it exhausting? How did you install your psu? Is it setup so that it draws air in from the vent on the side of the case where it would be located, or did you install the psu so that it pulls air from inside the case and acts as an exhaust? The sensible thing to do would be to install it so that it has a source of cool, fresh air from outside the case, but on LL's website they show the other configuration. It's always possible that the problem is that the stock hsf hasn't been installed correctly, but I think you also need to look at airflow in your case a little more closely.

Not knowing what you've done, I'll just hazard a guess as to what would work best in your case (I'm no expert on these matters, mind you). Orient the psu so that it's drawing fresh air from the side of the case (unless it's so long that it doesn't line up with the vent). Install an extra fan in the vent next to psu and orient it so it brings cool air in to the case (if it were me, I'd remove all of the hard drive cages that will empede airflow that you aren't using). If you aren't using any optical drives, and that cage comes out, I'd remove that, too. Next, since you're using the stock Intel top down hsf, I'd use the vent above the cpu to blow air into the case. Then I'd take the two fans on the side of the case by the cpu and flip them around so that they're exhausting hot air. You could always fool around with the fans to see what works best, but that would be my first stab at getting reasonable thermals. LL shows the two case fans blowing air clean through the case, and that looks great, but that big old 6950 in the middle is going to disrupt airflow (and put out a decent amount of heat) and, assuming it's installed correctly, the psu isn't going to work as an exhaust for the case air. Anyhow, I think that if you just took the two fans already installed in the case and use them as exhausts your cpu temps would go down considerably.

As other folks here have suggested, a thirty party cooler wouldn't hurt, but it may not be necessary if you get your airflow working well. If you do go with a new hsf, take some measurements as I'm not sure a tower like the 212 will fit in there.