Used to support Sprint.... no more.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Dulanic, Jan 21, 2013.

1. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Don't ever consider switching from your Verizon unlimited plan to Sprint. Ever.
    Either stay with Verizon or go to T-Mobile, AT&T, or hell...even Straight Talk.

I'd say Sprint is without a doubt the worst of the 4 major carriers.

2. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

This is what I do now also.
    Prior to that, I used to let my cousin order the 3 months refill from Walmart.com for $124.99 and he'll either email or text me the refill code so I won't have to pay any sales tax or useless fees that you have to pay on Straight Talk's website.

3. openwheel

openwheel Platinum Member

so you jump over to Verizon and get yourself raped??

I think the only one laughing is Sprint...

4. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Working on it.... I've gotten them to agree to waiving one ETF so far. If they are "unable" to fix the tower by week end he is going to waive another one.... But I am tempted to wait out a cancellation for roaming. I've gotten 2 months down of large roaming data usage and calls. So I figure if I can wait it out another month maybe I will get a letter... but who knows.

5. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

[​IMG]

6. Young Grasshopper

Young Grasshopper Senior member

agreed.

OP flash your phone with a Verizon only PRL. it will force your phone to go into roaming mode for both voice and data. download a copy of windows 8 trial from microsoft every night and eventually you will get a termination letter from sprint telling you to go find another provider within the next 30 days. you will also not have to pay an ETF either

7. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Already done for the past 2 months. Super easy /w the GNex too since I can flash it back and forward between the PRLs 100x a day if I needed to.

8. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Lol...Since when did Consumer Reports become the authority to listen to for things like cellphones?
    Consumer Reports is only good for looking up things like vaccums, washers, and dryers. I would never use them for anything to do with TV's, cellphones, or computers.

1.) Lol...That chart gave a better rating for Sprint on data than AT&T...Lol
    2.) Lol...That chart gave Straight Talk excellent marks for Data...But yet Straight Talk uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers. How the heck can Straight Talk get a better rating on data than AT&T or T-Mobile can themselves?...Lol
    3.) Lol...That chart gave Virgin Mobile excellent marks for data...But yet Virgin Mobile only uses Sprint's native coverage towers. How the heck can Virgin Mobile get a better rating than Sprint themselves when it comes to data rating when they use the same Sprint towers and Sprint has access to Verizon towers for roaming?...Lol

That Consumer Reports study should be disregarded and rightly so.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2538...wdown_which_networks_are_fastest_.html?page=0
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2548...s_for_atandt_sprint_t_mobile_and_verizon.html

9. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Depending on when that chart came out, Sprint being better than AT&T is entirely believable since AT&T had horrible spotty coverage for a long time. Also you have to compare apples to apples, pre paid to pre paid not pre paid to post paid in regards to Sprint and Virgin Mobile data rating.

10. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

Nov. 2012

11. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

Lol same could be said for PCworld. So they are comparing EVDO (3G) to HSPA+ (3.5G)? Your report was published in April 2012, while the consumer reports was Nov. 2012...

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/veri...rts-cell-phone-service-ratings-180806387.html

#36 Anonemous, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Lets use your pre-paid to pre-paid apples comparison analogy:
    1.) Virgin Mobile(which only uses Sprint native coverage BTW) has just as data good rating as Straight Talk which uses AT&T or T-Mobile towers? Shens.
    2.) Straight Talk has better data rating than T-Mobile and AT&T prepaid even though Straight talk doesn't have any data roaming and they use the same exact towers? Shens.

13. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Finally! I'm out! Will be going /w Tmobile family plan for $100, 2 phones at 500MB and 1 unlimited. Cheaper than even ST. Just waiting for the SGS4 to release so I can pick them up.

Sprint finally fixed the LTE here... and it died AGAIN within 1 day. This local tower is so screwed. That was when they finally caved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

15. Robert Munch

Robert Munch Senior member

Horrendous customer service, Sprint flat out sucks.

16. olds

olds Elite Member

My only issue with Sprint is that they won't have LTE in my area for about 2 years. That's too long to wait.
    I can get 4G outside at about 8mbps but who wants to go outside. 3G is about 1-1.5 mbps.
    When the S4 comes out on Verizon I am switching over and getting the S4 for myself and the Note II for the wife.

17. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

It wouldn't have bothered me if it worked once it went live here. But out of the 6 months since it went live LTE has worked for 3 weeks total.

18. saratoga172

saratoga172 Golden Member

We've had it in Dallas for 6-9 months I think. Work uses sprint. 3G service on my 4s is atrocious. I've only ever gotten over 200k a couple times. The 4g is very fast (20m or more) when it works. It'll randomly work great then cut out. Way too unreliable.

19. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Lol they fixed it right after releasing me. Still LTE that's the same speed as HSPA+is somewhat laughable.

[​IMG]

20. ncroadster

ncroadster Junior Member

It's all about the upload speed! :biggrin:

21. Roland00Address

Roland00Address Golden Member

I would not complain about 6 megs up, 6 megs down with reasonable ping, while keeping unlimited data and a reasonable price.

Sure 20 would be better but you are having serious "first world problems" if you are complaining about 6 up 6 down with unlimited.

--------------

Do not get me wrong, you have serious rights to complain about the fact you didn't get good service for 85% of the time.

22. saratoga172

saratoga172 Golden Member

Roland: I thought the same thing. 6/6 is not a bad speed at all for your phone. It's quite good. But when I need to tether for work ideally I'd like 10/5 or greater. That's why I use my Verizon phone. It's usually around 15/7 or so. I find that 5/5ish can get a little sluggish because the ping usually suffers and is over 125ish. I remote desktop into a work machine for network work related items and it hinders that process.

23. Roland00Address

Roland00Address Golden Member

50 to 60 ping is not the same as 100+ ping.