Used car with only 9 miles on it?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
auto show? maybe included as a courtesy vehicle for some sporting event?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hmm, I'm not sure, but maybe the govt or someone specifies how long you can sell a car as new before the model year expires or something? I'm guessing these are lot leftovers that can no longer be sold as new since '07s are available.

Snuffaluffaguss

May 15, 2001
I thought for those types of events they just didn't bother with getting a title. The carfax says they are both from Missouri.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Snuffaluffaguss
I thought for those types of events they just didn't bother with getting a title. The carfax says they are both from Missouri.

Correct. For events like that and the cars that the dealer's wife drives around (the ones with the dealer plates) they are not titled and are sold as new. (Even with 10k miles on them)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's not the case with these, but when the Mini's first hit the market dealers would buy them, title them and then put a retarded markup on them.

That way Mini-corporate couldn't crack down on them for listing them above MSRP. Once they were titled they could be sold as used and at any price.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Technically, we're in the 07 model year for most manufacturers, so it's a new year, and those cars can't be sold as new anyway (I don't know if the new Highlanders are out yet, but I'd venture Toyota has their 07 lineup out).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd also be worried that maybe they were damaged goods. Hail damage on a lot or maybe damaged in transit.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
nothing in those ads state that the vehicles are used. They are left overs if anything

Snuffaluffaguss

May 15, 2001
I thought about the damaged goods angle, also sorta off is that the pictures show Toyota certified used car license plates, but they are not in Toyota's database of certified cars.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Snuffaluffaguss
I thought about the damaged goods angle, also sorta off is that the pictures show Toyota certified used car license plates, but they are not in Toyota's database of certified cars.

Get the VIN and call Toyota, see if they have any info.

Nov 5, 2001
why are you assuming they are being sold used?

And there are no restrictions on selling prior year models as new unless they have been titled by someone.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronin
Technically, we're in the 07 model year for most manufacturers, so it's a new year, and those cars can't be sold as new anyway (I don't know if the new Highlanders are out yet, but I'd venture Toyota has their 07 lineup out).

wrong.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Umm...yes, there is. You can't sell a previous model year as new, regardless of it's condition (I don't care if it just came off the truck).

It's misrepresentation otherwise.

Nov 5, 2001
Umm...yes, there is. You can't sell a previous model year as new, regardless of it's condition (I don't care if it just came off the truck).

you are so wrong on this, it's stupid. A car is NEW until it has been titled. I have even seen cars TWO years old being sold as new that dealers just couldn't sell.

even a car with several thousand miles can be sold as NEW

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Nothing there says used. Looks like they are being sold as new. And yes, 06 models can be sold as new after 07 models hit the market. This is neither novel, nor uncommon to sell last years models as new.

It sure would be a problem for auto companies and dealers if they had to sell new cars as used. Keep in mind, in the US, production for 06 models stopped July 4, last year, and before the end of July, the new models were coming off the lines. There is no law against it, nor any misrepresentation taking plce -- they clearly state what model year the car is.

Snuffaluffaguss

May 15, 2001
but they have both been titled, therefor they can't be sold as new, correct? I ran carfax reports on both, and they both were , "Title issued or updated, First owner reported" I thought that meant they were "used". Oh well.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

you are so wrong on this, it's stupid. A car is NEW until it has been titled. I have even seen cars TWO years old being sold as new that dealers just couldn't sell.

Sold cars for a living once upon a time. Stop being an idiot, or just read your own sig.

And that article is a nice ton of sh!t. ;) You done yet?

Try growing up some and presenting coherent arguments before going off on someone while you're at it.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

Sold cars for a living once upon a time. Stop being an idiot, or just read your own sig.

And that article is a nice ton of sh!t. ;) You done yet?

Try growing up some and presenting coherent arguments before going off on someone while you're at it.

then show us a link dickface or STFU "MR. I sold cars for a living".

slimrhcp

Jul 20, 2005

That doesn't make any sense. New or used status is determined via ownership (ie titling). BTW, I work for a car dealership.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: slimrhcp

That doesn't make any sense. New or used status is determined via ownership (ie titling). BTW, I work for a car dealership.

SHHH! So did Ronin. He's gonna learn us all something new now...

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

new represents far more than the year, its also a mileage range

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
did you actually go and see the SUV's personally? Because maybe the ad means 9k or 8k.....typos ya know.