USED CAR: Mazda Tribute or Ford Escape?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hello all,

Due to budget issues I am forced to buy a used car. Narrowed it down to those two.

The year range is 2002 -2004

Couple questions here:

1) Which one would you guys prefer after all things considered?

2) At that year range most SUVs are over 100,000 miles. Many are like 125,000 to 165,000 miles. I keep hearing from sellers not to worry because that is highway miles and not a concern. Anyone have an opinion on that concerning those two choices of SUVs?

3) Is there a free website that I can look up a carfax report if I get the VIN?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Well, on the one hand, you have a Ford Escape.

...on the other hand, you have a Ford Escape...

2) I am not surprised that you don't have car dealers telling you that something is an unreliable high-mileage POS. Seriously, what do you expect them to say? Do you really think they know how the car was driven for its entire life?

3) No. Carfax is a service provided by...Carfax. Fortunately, it's also useless.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005

I am leaning towards the Mazda Tribute because it looks more roomier to me. Ok, lets say I decide on the Mazda then what about my other two questions?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005

2) I am not surprised that you don't have car dealers telling you that something is an unreliable high-mileage POS. Seriously, what do you expect them to say? Do you really think they know how the car was driven for its entire life?

3) No. Carfax is a service provided by...Carfax. Fortunately, it's also useless.

Actually, looking through my notes here one private seller wants $7,000 for a 2004 Mazda Tribute with 82,000 miles.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I am leaning towards the Mazda Tribute because it looks more roomier to me. Ok, lets say I decide on the Mazda then what about my other two questions?

They are identical. Just the badges on the outside are different, and maybe some interior badges. Get whichever one is the best deal.

The J

Aug 30, 2004
I used to own a 2002 Escape. A good forum for info is Escape City, but from what I remember the common problems with those were worn out sway bar links (causing a clunking noise), cracking ABS sensor rings (disabling the ABS system), and coil packs on the V6 going bad due to moisture getting in there.

Mine had other problems, which is why I traded it in a year ago, but I don't think my problems were typical for the Escapes from what I've read.

Edit: As others have said the Escape and Tribute are nearly identical, with the only differences being cosmetic on the exterior and interior.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Neither if you live where they salt the roads. Mazdas rust like a mother fer. I invite you to see some 10 year old ones on the road and compare to pretty much any other brand (except subaru). Rust & perforations.

Yep, that's what killed my first car. Had a 626. The 3s always rust around the brake light. First gen anyway. Almost bought one. Glad I didn't. I don't know if they've fixed this problem.

The Escape has also been plagued with problems. Probably Ford's least reliable vehicle. There's been a ton of recalls across all three generations. Not for minor stuff either.

If you're looking for a compact SUV, I'd probably look at a RAV4 or CR-V. Tons of them available used and they seem to hold up pretty good.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I somehow doubt the Mazda has horrible rust issues. Or that the Escape doesn't. They are just too similar. The skins on them are a bit different, I believe...it's not a 100% straight rebadge. But it's also not just as simple as a shared platform.

Didn't Mazda use their own V6? I think the 4cyls are all Fords, though. I'm also curious where they were built...surely Mazda wasn't actually shipping those over from Japan, were they?

I would second Rav4 or CR-V. The early Escapes were not terribly good cars. I'm not that big a fan of the more recent ones, for that matter. But they're a lot better.

7k for an 02-04 with <90k is okay. You'll probably pay more for the other mentioned Japanese cars. Or they'll have 120k+

Does it have to be an SUV? Insert token Pontiac Vibe recommendation. Toyota Corolla (...aka Rav4) with GM [lack of] resale value.

edit: oh, and Ford coil packs don't 'go bad' because of moisture. They're a terrible design, and moisture causes misfires- it doesn't break them. Dry them out and replace the boots. Way too many people doing 'maintenance' coil pack replacement because of that issue.

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Yep, that's what killed my first car. Had a 626. The 3s always rust around the brake light. First gen anyway. Almost bought one. Glad I didn't. I don't know if they've fixed this problem.

The Escape has also been plagued with problems. Probably Ford's least reliable vehicle. There's been a ton of recalls across all three generations. Not for minor stuff either.

If you're looking for a compact SUV, I'd probably look at a RAV4 or CR-V. Tons of them available used and they seem to hold up pretty good.

My first choice was the Honda CRV and I would choose that over the RAV4 anyday.

Problem is that where I am at I cannot find a Honda CR-V with less than 110,000 miles and higher than year 2000.

One lady was selling a 1999 Honda CR-V for $6,500 with 110,000 miles.

But another buyer was selling a 2003 Mazda tribute with 82,000 miles for $7,000 US or best offer.

In a nutshell, I cannot find any Honda CR-V 2001 or higher with less than 100,000 miles for less than $7,000.

See my situation here more or less....

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I somehow doubt the Mazda has horrible rust issues. Or that the Escape doesn't. They are just too similar. The skins on them are a bit different, I believe...it's not a 100% straight rebadge. But it's also not just as simple as a shared platform.

Didn't Mazda use their own V6? I think the 4cyls are all Fords, though. I'm also curious where they were built...surely Mazda wasn't actually shipping those over from Japan, were they?

I would second Rav4 or CR-V. The early Escapes were not terribly good cars. I'm not that big a fan of the more recent ones, for that matter. But they're a lot better.

7k for an 02-04 with <90k is okay. You'll probably pay more for the other mentioned Japanese cars. Or they'll have 120k+

Does it have to be an SUV? Insert token Pontiac Vibe recommendation. Toyota Corolla (...aka Rav4) with GM [lack of] resale value.

edit: oh, and Ford coil packs don't 'go bad' because of moisture. They're a terrible design, and moisture causes misfires- it doesn't break them. Dry them out and replace the boots. Way too many people doing 'maintenance' coil pack replacement because of that issue.

Yes, has to be an SUV because I need it to do deliveries for my business (8 50 pound bail of rags for example) and as a back up vehicle for my Mitsubishi Gallant which has little room as is.

This vehicle is not for joy riding or to impress the girls. It will be mainly used as a backup vehicle with decent room for transport.

I live in a high humidity climate with ZERO snowfall year round. It is by the sea and we have salty air (haha!)

I also represent Dupont line of paints and products for body works (local owned stores here) and that is no problem for me to do my own body works in my spare time as I sell all the products needed:)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

As much as I don't like the Honda/Toyota tax, I really agree with this assessment.

Also, if you don't mind sacrificing 'image' for practicality, go for a minivan instead. Safer, dramatically more interior room, and the right choices will have great reliability and decent fuel economy.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...500&listingId=348216016&listingIndex=24&Log=0

VQ V6, billions of features (and airbags out the ying-yang!), 64k miles, $7995 (probably negotiate that down to $7500 or so).

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yes, has to be an SUV because I need it to do deliveries for my business (8 50 pound bail of rags for example) and as a back up vehicle for my Mitsubishi Gallant which has little room as is.

This vehicle is not for joy riding or to impress the girls. It will be mainly used as a backup vehicle with decent room for transport.

I live in a high humidity climate with ZERO snowfall year round. It is by the sea and we have salty air (haha!)

I also represent Dupont line of paints and products for body works (local owned stores here) and that is no problem for me to do my own body works in my spare time as I sell all the products needed:)

Aha! See bolded, Minivan would kick ass.

2004_nissan_quest_100006556_m.jpg

Makes Rav/CRV/Escape/Tribute look like a Miata :D

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
For the desired year/mileage, he could spend like 3k on a Caravan and have 4k left for hookers and blow.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

Plagued with problems? Dunno, my brother and his inlaws haven't had anything too crazy go bad with theirs (same year range as OP is looking at). Had a power lock actuator go out on the liftgate and the brake booster needed replaced. It does have a cheap feel to it and the transmission is a little notchy, but whatever.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Can you even carry 400lb in an Escape? You should look at the Jeep Liberty

Edit: NM, that's the weight of two typical Houstonians

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Aren't the Tribute and the Escape the same vehicle? I'm pretty sure they are :D

The Tribute was a budget Escape. If you're choosing between the two (for some reason, not sure why as there are better choices), get the Escape as it will have more amenities and a better resale value.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
My friends wife has a 2003(?) V6 Ford Escape. She didn't change the oil in it for over a year, has 189k miles of abuse, and still runs just fine. I think it'd be a reasonably durable SUV.

Be aware that not all damage/issues are reported no matter what service you use.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Hahah truth! I always feel like a boss when driving one though. I really need to pick one up before my sons get too big.

LOL- I feel like a starship captain when driving our Town & Country.

All the doors are automatic, so I can blow the side/rear hatches at any time with the push of a button :D

There's also a "fart button" that I can press that lowers all 4 windows and opens the rear vents to evacuate the cabin in case of "explosive decompression" from one of the passengers.

It also has 2 (TWO!) DVD players, video and AC jacks, wireless headphones, and 3 screens, all of which can be operated independently. My son played XBox on the way to Myrtle Beach the last time we went while my daughter watched movies in the middle seats and we listened to the radio up front.

Chrysler's fold down seats are pretty awesome- they fold into the floor, making a gigantic flat cargo space. You can load sheets of drywall in there when everything is down.

I think the loaded 2008 model I have with the big 4.0L V6 is selling in the $16-$19K range, and they have a 3600lb towing capacity. The downside is Chrysler puts these great engines in their vehicles, but the quality of everything else tends to be crap. The brakes aren't great, the suspension isn't great, the interior plastics aren't great, but it is easily repairable and durable.

I keep saying I'll never buy another one, but this is the 4th we've owned because there's nothing on the market that's that packed with that many features for that price.

Behold the Family Truckster!

f_228133101-d4e6f7bc.jpeg

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
LOL- I feel like a starship captain when driving our Town & Country.

All the doors are automatic, so I can blow the side/rear hatches at any time with the push of a button :D

There's also a "fart button" that I can press that lowers all 4 windows and opens the rear vents to evacuate the cabin in case of "explosive decompression" from one of the passengers.

It also has 2 (TWO!) DVD players, video and AC jacks, wireless headphones, and 3 screens, all of which can be operated independently. My son played XBox on the way to Myrtle Beach the last time we went while my daughter watched movies in the middle seats and we listened to the radio up front.

Chrysler's fold down seats are pretty awesome- they fold into the floor, making a gigantic flat cargo space. You can load sheets of drywall in there when everything is down.

I think the loaded 2008 model I have with the big 4.0L V6 is selling in the $16-$19K range, and they have a 3600lb towing capacity. The downside is Chrysler puts these great engines in their vehicles, but the quality of everything else tends to be crap. The brakes aren't great, the suspension isn't great, the interior plastics aren't great, but it is easily repairable and durable.

I keep saying I'll never buy another one, but this is the 4th we've owned because there's nothing on the market that's that packed with that many features for that price.

Behold the Family Truckster!

f_228133101-d4e6f7bc.jpeg

Nice! I think I now see Minivans as a badge of maturity/intelligence compared to how I viewed them when I was much younger. Sure you do get the soccer mom driving them from time to time who can't drive worth a flip, but they're great versatile vehicles that usually (not always) make more sense than an SUV.

When I see a guy my age driving one, I think "dude is doing right by his kids, and he may be lucky enough to also have a Miata, Vette, 335i, whatever back at home to have fun in on the 9 to 5 or weekend getaways". Even if not, I'm glad that enough people have the common sense to buy them that they keep making them.

The worst offenders to me are the soccer moms/dads who buy SUVs based on LIGHT TRUCK platforms (eg; older Explorer, Pathfinder, etc), who do NOT go offroad (many of these are actually 2WD models to boot, lol), and then you get inside this vehicle that was built up from a small truck, and it's tiny inside, gets poop for fuel economy, has horrendous visibility out the sides/back, is top heavy and prone to rollover, often sitting on expensive off-road truck tires, is much harder to get in and out of, no 3rd row seat, very little actual cargo room, higher insurance pricing, overpriced because of their perceived 'coolness', etc. I'm not saying everyone that has or has had one of these is an offender, but most people you see in them are.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about Vette/GTR owners, but at least those people have something that's honestly a blast to drive, and they can take it to a track. Logically they could have gotten a Prius, but emotionally and viscerally they get a thrill from their cars. If someone actually gets a thrill out of a light truck SUV that isn't taking it mudding/etc, then I might have to question their sanity. I think it's vanity 90% of the time.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Plagued with problems? Dunno, my brother and his inlaws haven't had anything too crazy go bad with theirs (same year range as OP is looking at). Had a power lock actuator go out on the liftgate and the brake booster needed replaced. It does have a cheap feel to it and the transmission is a little notchy, but whatever.

The 2013 has been recalled four times already. 3 of which can cause engine fires. Second gen had throttle issues which can cause them to stall or jerk forward in traffic. First gen had issues with the throttle cable that can cause it to stick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape