Use Voodoo5 driver w/ Voodoo3 Card in Win2K???

TennisGuy

Apr 3, 2000
I'm currently using voodoo3 beta drivers in win2k. I was wondering if there was a performance increase using the voodoo5 drivers with a voodoo3 card? New drivers just came out for the voodoo5 for win2k so that's why i'm curious to try them. Also, if i did use a voodoo 5 driver, would i use a voodoo 5 overclocker utility or a voodoo 3 overclocker utility to OC my voodoo3 w/ voodoo5 drivers? Any comments apprecicated, thanx. -TTT

acebathound

Mar 11, 2000
um..I'd say stay away from trying to use the Voodoo 5 drivers. They'll have built-in support for the anti-alaising and all kinds of special stuff the v5 has, and your v3 won't be able to do it. I'm using a v3 2000 myself in case you're wondering.

I'd say it's just like the early days of the voodoo 3..3dfx is just fixing some problems they have in the current drivers and there will be quite a few "new releases" just as there were when the v3 first came out.

I'd sit tight and wait for new voodoo 3 drivers..hopefully they aren't that far off, although I currently haven't had probs with the beta driver set.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
In '98 using the V5500 drivers works fine! Slight increase in the speed and the ability to run higher detail settings without slowdowns. This is just my experience and I've no benchmark, btw.

W2K is very forgiving drivers wise but I've not tried them as I run most games in '98.

Any features not supported are just greyed out.