Use 7600GT without ramsinks?

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Just got a eVGA 7600GT KO and the stock heatsink covered the ramsinks aswell as the core. Looking on newegg this is the only card that does. Is there any concern with not having any on the card even with the memory o/ced?

Reason is the card was running as high a 85c under load sometimes and I was getting artifacts in GRAW. So I took the stock cooler off and add a Zalman cooler on it but I don't have ramsinks for the memory.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
man the stock cooler on these KO's suck. I was getting random lockups for like 20-30 secs in GRAW and now they are gone. I got have good airflow in my case aswell.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My xxx came stock@590/800 and it isn't like they used better ram. it is the same 1.4ns Samsung most others use. No issues at all, GRAW, which was part of the hot deal on the XXX, didn't cause issues with stock cooling.

I did swap for the Zalman 700cu+ceramique' and ramsinks because of the noise of the stock cooler though.
Also, because I will eventually play with volt modding to see how far I can push it on air. Presuming I decide I don't care about trashing the DL warranty for resale purposes.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
My xxx came stock@590/800 and it isn't like they used better ram. it is the same 1.4ns Samsung most others use. No issues at all, GRAW, which was part of the hot deal on the XXX, didn't cause issues with stock cooling.

I did swap for the Zalman 700cu+ceramique' and ramsinks because of the noise of the stock cooler though.
Also, because I will eventually play with volt modding to see how far I can push it on air. Presuming I decide I don't care about trashing the DL warranty for resale purposes.

was your memory cooled by the stock cooler? Looking at the pics on newegg they ain't but coolers change.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Nah, that cooler was just a bitty copper thing with a whiney fan. I had no stability issues, but temps are now much lower with almost silent cooling, so it was win/win to go with the Zalman.