USC MARSHALL PROGRAM: Business MBA

AE86Lover

Mar 7, 2006
As they say, USC peeps pretty much buy their education, or as the saying goes... I just want to know, how hard it really is to get in? To tell you the truth, my college GPA could've been better.. hehee..

I guess if anything, i messed up my chance to get into a really good MBA program due to my poor college average.. but my life perspective has changed a bit and i really want to get into MARSHALL MBA program..

Any thoughts? Or should i just apply to UCLA?

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
my friend graduated from UCSB last year with a 3.4 GPA. Emphasis in accounting. Was offered admission to USC's MBA program. Extracuriculars and whatever else there is, i have no idea, so take that single stat however you want it. If I had to judge by that, i'd say it's not that hard

AE86Lover

Mar 7, 2006
Get outta here? i graduated from UCSB as well.. c/o 2005.. however, i cant' say taht are GPA's ar ethe same. =) Mine was substantially lower.. bahah.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: AE86Lover
Get outta here? i graduated from UCSB as well.. c/o 2005.. however, i cant' say taht are GPA's ar ethe same. =) Mine was substantially lower.. bahah.

you can make up for it with a solid GMAT. If you haven't taken it already, study hard. Extra curriculars and good work experience will help as well. That'll make up for a poor GPA.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
As they say, USC peeps pretty much buy their education, or as the saying goes... I just want to know, how hard it really is to get in? To tell you the truth, my college GPA could've been better.. hehee..

I guess if anything, i messed up my chance to get into a really good MBA program due to my poor college average.. but my life perspective has changed a bit and i really want to get into MARSHALL MBA program..

UCLA is a top ten school last I looked, considered better than USC.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mribnik1

Not only that, inferring from their stats, they're much more numbers-based than USC would be.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
WE ARE...
MARSHALL!

/me just noticed this is about USC and not a Marshall University thread
:eek:

AE86Lover

Mar 7, 2006
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

Not only that, inferring from their stats, they're much more numbers-based than USC would be.

numbers based? you mean, they look at your GPA more?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

numbers based? you mean, they look at your GPA more?

word

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Shortcut
What makes UCLA that much better than USC?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/mba/brief/mbarank_brief.php

USC = 29
UCLA = 10

USC though costs almost 3 times more to go there than UCLA.

don't let the price tag mislead you - it says very little about the quality of the program. UCLA is a public school, while USC is private.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/95/Rank_1.html

forbes ranks ucla significantly higher than usc as well. they show their criteria (which is quite detailed).

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
dude, the only mba program in cali worth going to is at stanford. remember, it's not about learning things, but about networking. if you wanna roll with the big dogs, go to a kick ass school, whatever it takes. if you dont have a great gpa, make up for it with something else: great job experience, high gmat score etc. of course it also helps to have gone to a good undergraduate school. i am in the same boat with a sh1tty gpa, but damned if i have to go to a bad school.

AE86Lover

Mar 7, 2006
Originally posted by: 3cho
dude, the only mba program in cali worth going to is at stanford. remember, it's not about learning things, but about networking. if you wanna roll with the big dogs, go to a kick ass school, whatever it takes. if you dont have a great gpa, make up for it with something else: great job experience, high gmat score etc. of course it also helps to have gone to a good undergraduate school. i am in the same boat with a sh1tty gpa, but damned if i have to go to a bad school.

OMG.. you want to talk about networking? obviously you havne't heard of USC's great alumni hookups.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

USC networking > UCLA networking

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
check out businessweek.com

If youre applying to a top mba program, its all about GMAT and your work experience and essays, assuming your school work is 5+ years ago (and if it isnt, an MBA isnt for you)

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002

OMG.. you want to talk about networking? obviously you havne't heard of USC's great alumni hookups.
yeah seriously, the reason most people want to go to USC is for their networking.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: PoPPeR

yeah seriously, the reason most people want to go to USC is for their networking.

i bet the networking there isnt as good as that of stanford, or hbs, cbs, or even cornell

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Good luck applying to a top bschool with no work experience and a sh!tty GPA! You will need it!

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Good luck applying to a top bschool with no work experience and a sh!tty GPA! You will need it!

yeah that will be rough. my gpa is only 3.1, but it's from a good undergrad and i have a good job to strengthen my resume. but it doesnt mean that you shouldnt try hard to show yourself in the best light. it's not about what's on paper, it's about how you present yourself.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: PoPPeR

i bet the networking there isnt as good as that of stanford, or hbs, cbs, or even cornell

with the exception of cornell, DUH