Question USB Type C to HDMI 4K@60hz

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I ordered this cable to connect a HP laptop's thunderbolt USB Type C port to my AOC U3277WB monitor's hdmi port. I already have a desktop connected to the display port. The strange thing is I can only switch inputs to hdmi when I set the laptop to 4K@30hz. After I switch I can bump it up to 60hz. If it is already set to 60hz when I switch to hdmi the monitor will go black then after 10 seconds switches back to the display port showing my desktop. Also not the laptop can always see the monitor even if I can not switch to it. What would cause this? It seems like a timeout is getting hit before it can fully switch inputs when doing 4K@60 through the cable.

It will switch to my laptop set at 60HZ if my desktop is asleep.

Last edited:

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I hooked an HDMI cable to my monitor and my desktop. So my desktop has a DP and HDMI connections going to the monitor and I can switch inputs without any issue. It appears the issue is with the USB C to HDMI cable or my HP laptop. Just not sure which, but it looks like I will need to send the cable back.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I tried another laptop with the same cable and monitor and it had the same problem. I could only change inputs if set to 30hz, but then could change it to 60hz. So, looks like the cable is the issue. Anyone have a recommendations on USB Type-C to hdmi adapters or cables?