USB TV Tuner Card

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So I'm heading back to my University in 3 weeks or so, and as my old TV has been taken over by my sister, I've decided to use my monitor (NEC MultiSync 90GX2) w/TV card in liu of buying a new TV.

My only comp is a laptop, so I need USB/Firewire. I'd also like a coax passthrough in the event that I do get a new TV. If it can recieve unencrypted HD, so much the better (for future proofing), but University cable doesn't include HD signals to my knowledge, so it's not really necessary. My budget is <= $100.

A remote would also be nice.

Also, I do plan to use my laptop/external HD as a kind of mini-DVR, so anything that's lax on the DRM would be welcome as well ;)

Otherwise, I'm a relative noob when it comes to this area. Thanks in advance!

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
You don't need pass-through, just a coax splitter (which is dirt cheap).

I recently picked up a new Adaptec AVC-3610, which is a dual tuner USB device, for $60 shipped. That would be my recommendation. It also has a pair of composite and s-video inputs (along with associated audio).

TechnoSaint

Feb 21, 2000
I've been partial to Hauppauge cards myself, I still use one that I bought nearly 6 years ago. They have several versions that have standard, HD, DVR and HD-DVR capabilities, both internal and external USB. A search on any reputable consumer electronics website / retailer should give you pricing info., they haven't been too expensive in the past.