Question USB to SATA adapter that passes along drive manufacturer and name

unmesh59

Feb 27, 2012
I find myself in a situation where I need to migrate boot hard drives to 2.5" SATA SSDs which are sometimes of a different size than the original. It would be great to use the migration software provided by the SSD vendor with a USB-to-SATA adapter for this since they do auto-sizing but the software checks to see if one of the drives in the transfer is from this vendor. Unfortunately, the adapters I have present themselves with the adapter vendor's name.

Are there adapters that pass along the SSD manufacturer and model name?

Thanks

P.S.: I've been doing it with Macrium Reflect but would like to avoid manual resizing of partitions if possible.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I find myself in a situation where I need to migrate boot hard drives to 2.5" SATA SSDs which are sometimes of a different size than the original. It would be great to use the migration software provided by the SSD vendor with a USB-to-SATA adapter for this since they do auto-sizing but the software checks to see if one of the drives in the transfer is from this vendor. Unfortunately, the adapters I have present themselves with the adapter vendor's name.

Are there adapters that pass along the SSD manufacturer and model name?

Thanks

P.S.: I've been doing it with Macrium Reflect but would like to avoid manual resizing of partitions if possible.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe the latest version of macrium reflect (ver 8) can now do automatic resizing for you.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I just used macrium to clone a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD. When I chose the partition to clone there was an option to resize automatically to the smaller drive that I don't remember seeing before.